Thursday, March 17, 2016

WORD: schedules of reading

I noticed one of my last posts before my long hiatus was about how I was reading through the Bible without a true schedule.  Yes, for 2015 I used a simple list of all the books of the bible and chapters and went about it at my own pace.  For this chick, who's a little too driven by rules and "to dos", it was very freeing.  It kept Bible reading from being so much a duty and changed it to be more of a delight.  

Now, that being said, I'm not sure I'd encourage people to go all loosey goosey...It was harder to stay disciplined without a true schedule pushing things along.  I prayed for God to help me desire His Word...a lot.  Thankfully, I believe He truly delights to answer this prayer...even if He has to put hard times in your way to make you dig into His Word.  

This year, 2016, I'm being ambitious.  Through my studies I've realized more and more that no good human writing about God's Word is as good as God's Word itself...and I REALLY need to be in it more.  I saw the need in biblical counseling, and life as a whole, to get better at knowing where things are located...and quickly.  I'm not terrible at this...I can usually nab the right general area and I'm a wicked fast googler but...then someone suggested using Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading Schedule.  

Each day you read one chapter from each of ten lists. That’s right -- ten chapters per day!!! I use Olive Tree and they actually have this reading plan and it just electronically bops me from book to book...but sticky notes would work just fine too.  In fact, there's a neat printable set on Pinterest.  Since the lists vary in length, the readings begin interweaving in constantly changing ways. You will NEVER read the same set of ten chapters together again! 

Every year you’ll read through all the Gospels four times, the Pentateuch twice, Paul’s letters 4-5 times each, the OT wisdom literature six times, all the Psalms at least twice, all the Proverbs as well as Acts a dozen times, and all the way through the OT History and Prophetic books about 1 1⁄2 times. 

Since the interweaving is constantly changing, you will experience the Bible commenting on itself in constantly changing ways -- the Reformer's principle of 'scriptura interpretans scripturam' -- 'scripture interpreting scripture' IN ACTION!  I'm loving it!!

So, that's the WORD for today.  Hope ya'll are getting into it!  

"The law of the LORD is perfect,

reviving the soul;

the testimony of the LORD is sure,
making wise the simple;The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul;
the testimony of the LORD is sure,
making wise the simple;  The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul;
the testimony of the LORD is sure,
making wise the simple;"
Psalm 19:7

No comments: