Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Hodgepodge on ice

1. What keeps you blogging?
The desire to maintain the collective memory...Realizing I don't want FB to be where I express or share all of my important memories and life lessons.  Recognizing that it helps me to write out my thoughts and express myself this way.  Cathartic.
2. Some people like to travel in the winter months. Do you enjoy the beach in winter? According to Southern Living the best U.S. beach towns to visit this winter are-
St Simons Island (Georgia), Hilton Head (South Carolina), Bald Head Island (North Carolina), Seaside (Florida), Bay St. Louis (Mississippi), Cape San Blas (Florida), South Padre Island (Texas), Folly Beach (South Carolina), Chincoteague (Virginia), Duck Key (Florida), Nags Head (North Carolina), and Fairhope (Alabama)
Have you been to any of the towns listed (in any season)? Which on the list appeals to you most this winter? 
I haven't been to any of these beaches.  I've only been to a few in FL and MI.  If money were no object I'd love to spend the winter at the beach.  This winter has been awful already...and I'd take any beach right now!!  It's not good if you're "over it" when winter has just started! *sigh*
3. What's a song you're embarrassed to know all the lyrics to? Are you really embarrassed or do just think you should be?
I can't think of any that I'm embarrassed to know, at least right now.  I memorize to song VERY well.  I have hundreds of hymns memorized and children's songs.  I don't know that I have them memorized and then I'll remember one line and realize I can sing the WHOLE song.  It's sort of cool and creepy all at the same time.
4. When you were a kid what's something you thought would be fantastic as an adult, but now that you're an adult you realize it's not all that fantastic?
Being independent, as a whole, isn't as great as it's cracked up to be.  I remember the first time I was sick and wanted my Mom and realized that I was the Mom!  It was a rough day.
5. Share a quote you hope will inspire you in 2018.
"Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One who is leading."
~Oswald Chambers
6. Insert your own random thought here.
This last weekend was full crazy weather...first an ice storm (snow day #1)...followed by crazy weekend of yucky driving...followed by more snow (snow day #2)...and a plunge of negative temperatures (2 hr delay)...It's crazy!  I can't get anything done!  I made myself get through grocery shopping yesterday...I came back exhausted.  It's so cold my face hurts and I can't push the cart through the frozen slush!  Ugh...really struggling to thank God for this awful cold...only thing I can come up with is thanking Him for killing the bugs so Spring and Summer will be nice and that it also kills some of the flu bugs going around too.  Also...a nice warm house and car...safetey...ok...there IS a lot to be thankful for!  

4 comments:

Mary said...

I definitely made sure to thank God for a warm place to sleep...so many children in my county don't have that.
Stay warm!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

You and I feel the same about cold weather. Have a wonderful, warm week!

Joyce said...

We had some snow today, not enough to be a nuisance for us and maybe that's why I loved it. I miss the snow a little bit living in the south. Not a lot, and definitely not how it lingers forever, but just a pretty snow now and then that seems to settle the earth and everything in it.

Barbara H. said...

We've had snow today and a lot more hard freezes than usual for our area, but I am trusting that the freezes are killing bugs. That's the one main positive for me. :-)

I grew up not far from Padre Island and spent a ton of time there, so I was probably there during the winter, but I can't remember for sure. We were at Folly Beach one April - it was nice because our kids' spring break was a different week than the public schools' spring break, so we had the place almost to ourselves. One of my favorite vacations. The water was a little cold, but not too cold to get into for a bit.