Thursday, February 8, 2018

ThoughtFULL Thursday: Technology


Lately, I find myself thinking about technology and how it changes.  I'm not sure if life is passing me by or trying to run me over...isn't that how the joke goes?  

I have exchanged handwritten letters with a friend of mine for almost two decades.  Through college, marriage, children, moving...we've doggedly stuck to handwritten letters.  There is something special about it.  I can hold a part of her life in my hands...and her writing tells me if she's rushed or stressed...or if she's had to stop and care for a kiddo.  It does mean there have been lapses in our writing what with life's ups and downs.  It is a slow process...and we have emailed and called to line up annual get togethers but we always go back to newsy letters about our gardens, our families and our churches...and I love it.  It works because we are both ok with the time it takes...the patience required on both ends. 

There are days that I would like to go back to a time where people didn't demand/expect almost instant responses to emails and txts.  I'm all about being efficient and organized but yikes.  Especially now, being secretary of our HOA, I am amazed at the expectations for speed of responses from volunteers on this board of homeowners...and the sheer prideful nastiness.  So unpleasant.  People very much think it is their right to be responded to, NOW.  It is almost as if they think they're standing in front of you and you're ignoring them, as opposed to what it really is, a volunteer position where I check the email rarely and do the best I can, when I can!

And a tiny final note, while I'm up here on my soapbox...That technology that notifies you that your packages have arrived seems good...but for those of us trying to teach our children to send thank you notes...or heck, even thank you texts...you'd better be immediate in getting it done or you'll get a txt first that says, "did you get my gift?"  "do they like it"  SIGH...big sigh...this so frustrates me.  Please just give me a day to breath and let you know it came and say thank you...genuine thank you...not thank you based on being poked for a response.  I could go on but I'll just end the rant here.

But, the bottom line is that life is moving forward...and rather than getting run over I need to get with it.  I need to establish healthy boundaries for myself and my family...and recognize I can't make people happy.  I'm not coffee.

God calls me to be faithful...not perfect or amazing.  Isn't that freeing?


No comments: