Friday, February 13, 2009

Frugal Friday!

Joanne gave me the idea to share my Mom's Chai Latte Mix...and a neat way that I recently shared it with our neighbors. We have AWESOME neighbors, a couple named Oscar and Vivian...who have walked right into our hearts on a number of occasions. This is the couple that came to help us when Caleb had his last 9-1-1 scare...and last week when it snowed and we all had the flu...Oscar came over and "snowblowed" our whole driveway. I don't know which was better...the clear driveway or the entertained kids! So, we wanted to make something nice as a thank you!
I gathered my materials...buttons, lace, ribbon, tacky glue and a cleaned wheat germ jar.
We mixed up our Chai Latte Mix (using Splenda in place of the sugar because they are diabetics)...

It made a whole ice tea container...the wheat germ container...and about four mugs...WOW...and let me just say...YUMMO!!!
Here's the recipe...
Instant Chai Tea Latte Mix
1 c. dry milk
1 c. dry creamer
1 c. dry French vanilla creamer
2.5 c. sugar
1.5 c. PLAIN instant tea
2 t. ginger
2 t. cinnamon
.5 t. cloves
1 t. cardamom
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. allspice
Blend in food processor into fine powder. Use 3 heaping spoons per mug of boiling water.
Enjoy...this is definitely a FRUGAL homemade idea...cuz this can cost upward to $5 for a teeny little thing at the store! Put your kettle on...
On a side note...it always amazes me how you think you're going to bless someone and then they bless you instead. We just got back from delivering our present...I came home with a red wagon FULL of beautiful antique dishes, bowls, etc...She was cleaning out after 50 + years of marriage to move somewhere smaller. WOW...I'm so blessed!

2 comments:

Kayren said...

What a neat story...and I read about your 9-1-1 scare. I really do need to read your other blog too. I've never had the chai tea since I tend to just be a coffee drinker (except for hot peppermint tea). I'm wondering if I'd like it.

Kayren said...

I just got a free chai latte at B&N Starbucks a couple of weeks ago during educator's whateveryoucallit. They gave me a little coupon for a free tall coffee or tea, and believe it or not I felt like tea and not coffee. So I sent Hubby to get me a tea and just said for him to get me something. He came back with something that was a little cinnamon-y.

So at Sbux the other day I decided I wanted a tea like that, and so I told him to get me one like that. He didn't know what it was, so I just told him to go in and tell them it was a tea that had a slight cinnamon taste. Turned out it was a chai latte. So I love it and never tried your mix just because I was too lazy or something.

Now I've printed it and will get the last couple of things I need and will be making it soon. I hope it tastes just like theirs. I'll let you know!

(I had to google your blog name with chai tea just to find the post!)