Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Grace 2023

One of my sourdough loaves that turned out pretty!

For the last decade or so I've picked 'a word of the year.'  For me, it has proven helpful to have a topical focus for each year.  God has chosen to use these words to deepen my spiritual growth and keep my gaze on Him.  The last two years...I've had Dwell & Abide and, amid deep suffering, God has used these words to keep me in His Word, for which I am deeply grateful.  

I had a real struggle choosing a word this year.  I started considering Hesed...due to my recent reading of Inexpressible: Hesed and the Mastery of God's Lovingkindness by Michael Card.  But, I decided it was a bit too wide and involved.  It would probably require a re read of the book and I have other books on my long list.

So, I then seriously considered Humility.  

This leads me on a bunny trail to explain a concern I have with this whole "choosing a word for the year" thang.  I have noticed it's led to a certain amount of superstition in the christian church and even myself.  It's ridiculous for us to think, 'If I don't choose difficult topics such as patience, humility, etc. than God won't refine and teach me in those areas.'  God is absolutely faithful to make us more like His Son.  He will focus in whichever areas He sees we need it most.  It doesn't matter if I'm in agreement.  Also, my fears on choosing difficult topics stem from a skewed or inaccurate view of Who He Is.  He is gentle and lowly...He knows all about me and yet desires to draw me close.  Any pain that he brings or allows is for my refinement, not my destruction.  So, all that to say...I didn't choose Humility (lol)...it was too scary.  But, God is still faithfully humbling me and working on crushing my Pride.  I would expect nothing less.

Where I landed for this year was Grace.  It seemed gentle and simple.  Boy, was I wrong.  I am currently just collecting ways I hear it used...and then I'm going to start parceling out what God's Word says about each.  It brings up interesting connections...ie. Grace/Mercy, Grace & Gracious, Grace-filled...I've already uncovered what I think are some incorrect uses or maybe just secular uses of the word...'giving myself or others grace'...'it's all grace'...etc.  It will be an interesting year.  It makes me thankful that I have decided to write again.  

Do you select a word focus each year?  Why or why not?  If so, what have you chosen and how can I be praying for you.

2 comments:

Debby said...

I do not pick a word for the year because I don't believe it is scriptual to do so - Its not by my power that a word makes me a better person. It is by God's Holy Spirit that helps me along the way, plus God knows what I need more than I do, as as a mere human, my word will always be flawed and even narcissistic.

It is prevalient in the church today to follow the world - but they change it up and stamp, "christian" on it and that is supposed to be okay. How about memorzing a scripture. That God commands:

Psalm 119:11
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

Deuteronomy 11:18
“You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.

It's hard because so many dear people are caught up in this and the sad thing is, I don't say anything and I thank you for mentioning it.

Bobbi said...

Thank you Debby for your comment. You are correct that the Bible does not tell us we should 'pick a word' and that by holding a word over our lives it has power to determine anything...but I do see in the Bible that we are to be careful what we focus on...so in choosing a Word that's what I'm trying to do...focus on Truth...and search out from God's Word what it means and submit myself to God's power. Maybe it's my small way of trying to rehabilitate and redirect something that's been skewed.