Wednesday, January 4, 2023

What are you reading? January Check-in

 


I have a new journaling bible...a new version to me...CSB.  It has a linen cover...it's hardback.  All of things are new and I'm loving it.  I haven't gotten a new Bible in a long time.  As I type that I think how incredibly blessed I am to have multiple bibles, in multiple versions, beautiful and marked with all I've learned by God's grace over the years.  He has done a lot through His Word in me.

Untangling Emotions by Groves & Smith -  this is a reread for me.  Our small group is going through it together.  I read it quickly a year ago, per my normal method.  It is a joy to read it slowly and with a trusted group of friends.  Their insights are very helpful to me in learning to love better.

The Fruit of Her Hands by Nancy Wilson - this is also a reread for me.  I try to read this annually because it's very helpful to my marriage.  Our marriage has undergone a lot of stress these last few years and all of the truths in this book help get me right side up and viewing things biblically.

Garment of Shadows by Laurie King - I love the Mary Russell series by this author.  Recently my hubby gifted me with the missing pieces of my collection so I'm re reading them.  It's been so long I can't remember exactly how they end and certain details.  I stayed up until 1AM finishing this so it goes down as the first completed book of 2023.  

30 Days of Humility by Crossway - A close friend is doing this with me.  I don't feel I have time to join a group study...but we're going through this bi-weekly.  I think it's silly how superstitious we can be about studying things like patience and humility as if it will bring trial into our lives.  As if God, who only gives good gifts, wouldn't decide we're getting lessons on it whether we 'choose' them or not.  Ha.  

If you happen to be in the blogosphere...I'd sure love to hear what you're reading.








1 comment:

Barbara Harper said...

I posted my top twelve books read last year at https://barbaraleeharper.com/2022/12/28/top-twelve-books-read-in-2022/. One of the best was Another Gospel: A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity by Alisa Childers. Another was Heaven and Nature Sing: 25 Advent Reflections to Bring Joy to the World by Hannah Anderson.