Thursday, January 29, 2009

Checking In for January...

I Samuel and II Samuel-
-I love Hannah's prayer in chapter 2. I was interested to learn it has been called the Magnificat of the OT--compared to Mary's prayer song in Luke 1:46-55. I think it is also similar to David's prayer at the end of II Samuel. Both talk about being delivered from disgrace to a position of honor and strength.
-Have you ever noticed...that Saul tried to skewer David, not once, but twice! I Sam. 18 & 19 hold and account.
-Anybody else feel bad for Uzzah in II Samuel 6? It seems like a harsh punishment...especially in connection with some of the rotten stuff David did...but the point is that he shouldn't have had the ark on a cart in the first place. God doesn't like irreverence.
-I LOVE the accounts of the mighty men, which is strange to me...since I can't stand watching gory war movies with my hubby! I had never noticed II Samuel 23:39 mentioning Uriah the Hittite among the thirty!

Proverbs-
I have read it through in its entirety...and will do so every month. I like the habitual...it's easy with 31! Check out the sidebar for some of my favorites.

Philippians-
In case you're wondering...check out Memory Monday. That's one of my favorite parts!

Daniel-
-I was very interested in the insult of changing their names in chapter one. The first meanings are Daniel-God is my Judge...Hananiah-the Lord shows grace...Mishael-who is what God is...Azariah-the Lord helps. They were changed to Belteshazzar-long live Babylon...Shadrach-command of Aku the moon-god...Meshach-who is what Aku is...Abednego-servant of Nebo (god).

1 comment:

Kayren said...

Liked reading what you had to say about the names in Daniel. No wonder it was such an insult.