Wednesday, June 9, 2021

June Bug HodgePodge

 

1. Something you've seen recently that's 'cuter than a June bug'? 
I consider these peeps to be pretty cute!  We managed to get away for an unplugged week in TN before the crazy of summer began.  I really loved the cuteness of seeing their faces and spending time with them at waterfalls, around campfires and across board games.  
While wading (yes, bravely with my phone/camera)...I got a picture of this cute water 'bug'...

2. Tell us something about where you were and what you were doing in June of 1988? If you weren't born yet, June of 1998. Or if that doesn't work, June of 2008. 
June 1988: I was in third grade.  I had Miss Dailey as a teacher.  I loved school.  I remember all of my teacher's names.  I feel like school let out in June when I was growing up.  We didn't go back until labor day.  Now that's about a month different.  My kids get out in May and go back in August.  
June 1998:  I graduated from high school.  It was kind of weird because I graduated from a school I transferred to at the end of my Junior year and then I went to the community college for half the senior year.  My friends were largely back in upstate NY where I'd grown up.  But, I do remember my grandparents coming and I was very excited to be going to college on a full vocal scholarship.
June 2008:  I was the married mommy to two adorable children...a three year old and one year old.  

3. A place in your home or outdoor space where you feel 'snug as a bug in a rug'? 
My sewing room/office...this has become more and more my refuge over the past year. 

This is my current project...these are from a pinwheel exchange and I want to get them into a quilt before the Winter state guild retreat when we can reveal what we did with ours to each other.  
I've been working on a counseling certification and much of that has been virtual, so my design wall became a lovely back drop for counseling and the sewing room became my snug, cozy, private space.

4. June is National Fresh Fruits and Vegetable Month. Do you normally get your 4-5 servings each day? What's a favorite summer dish you make/serve/like to be served-ha! made with one of your favorite summer fruits. A favorite summer dish made with a favorite summer veg? How do you feel about cooking in the summer months? 
I love fruits and vegetables.  I don't think I've had one I don't like.  We really enjoy oven/grill roasted veggies with just EVOO, salt and pepper.  I regularly roast cauliflower, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, and asparagus.  Strawberries are in full boom here and are sooooo good.  I've made jam and we ate a whole bunch plain.  I'm debating picking another time but I don't want to be greedy.  Peaches are just coming into stores here...and I make a fresh peach ice box pie that is amazing if I do say so myself.  It's my son's favorite.  It's pretty much peach jello and fresh peaches in a graham cracker crust.  
5. Do you have a summer reading list? If so share a title or two we can add to our own. 


Upcoming on my list are...Untangling Emotions and The Making of CS Lewis.

Fun fact about my reading habits.  I generally have a long list of need to reads for counseling education, etc.  So, I 'bribe' myself to read those tougher, nonfiction reads...by 'rewarding' myself with fiction before bed.  So, I've always got an Agatha Christie or Sherlock Holmes on my nightstand for said reward purposes.  I have the complete works of both.  

6. Insert your own random thought here.
My Sweet Emma helped me pass out runner bibs at our church's annual 5K-10K...We usually do it as a family but the boys were down with back pain and allergies...It was as sweet time.
I'm about to head off for a few days of sewing with friends.  I'm very excited.  I'm off to pack...hopefully not everything but the kitchen sink.  I try to be a light packer but I think of too many possibilities. 

2 comments:

Barbara Harper said...

I've heard lots of good things about Gentle and Lowly. The Girl with Seven Names sounds really interesting.

June 1988--my second son was almost a year old, and my mother's extended family had their one and only extensive family reunion. Loved that time--the last time I saw my mother's father, aunt, and uncle.
June 1998: My youngest was four and we moved back to SC after 4 years in GA.
June 2008: My oldest two had graduated from high school, and my youngest had four more years. My middle son was dating the girl he married in August of the next year.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

I have a friend that goes off to sew with friends a couple of times a year and always has so much fun. Enjoyed your answers and enjoy your time away.