Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Coffee Muffin Hodgepodge

1. As August draws to a close, share what's been your favorite weekend of the entire summer?
I think my favorite weekend from the summer was near the beginning when we went to Michigan.  It was brief, and even though Loverbrains had to work during the day, we had fabulous evenings on the beach as a family.  For a brief time all the other stuff going on was placed on hold.

2. Labor Day is marked in the US of A on Monday, September 1st.  What paying job have you held that you've loved the most? Liked the least?
I LOVED teaching.  Probably third grade best...but even Special Ed was wonderful, albeit stressful.  Since you said "paying" I can't say Mom or Domestic Engineer...but I am also loving this job.  It will PAY in spades someday.  And it pays now in little precious moments.

3. Does the new school year start before or after Labor Day where you live? When do you think it should begin? There is much discussion now about older students having later start times to their school day...your thoughts?
In Indiana almost all districts are going to what is either called a perpetual or balanced schedule...which is basically what I'd call Year Round.  It just means longer breaks for holidays and an additional Fall break...and Summer break only being about 2 months total, if that.  For my friends who work full time it's a real financial hit to the pocket...but to day cares it's a boon.  I did this schedule when teaching Special Ed and it does improve retention...because there's less time for lost information.  But, it's sort of a bummer from a parent standpoint because you feel like summertime is lost.

As for later start times for older students...this has long been debated.  Actually, I think the research is pretty clear.  We know they'd do better starting later.  It's been tried and found successful.  I think it's sports schedules that keep it from becoming a reality.  Sports the largest idol of our American Society.

4. What's something you've worked at recently that could be deemed a 'labor of love'?
As my Mom starts radiation and chemo I've really enjoyed gathering special things to send to her.  I've also enjoyed taking dinner to my neighbor who's struggling with ALS. 

5.Which of the following work idioms can you most relate to right now...'A woman's work is never done.', 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.' 'Many hands make light work.'
A woman's work is never done.  When trying to get into the new school year's routines it feels like I always have something to do...no time to be still...or guilt if I do sit still for too long.

6. Crab or lobster or thanks, but no thanks? Favorite way to have your choice prepared?
I love lobster...with plenty of butter for dunking!

7. Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, 'Three rules of work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.' Which of the three do you consider to be the most important? Share one of your own 'rules of work'.
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"...I think this is almost a Biblical principle to me.  If I consider God Sovereign over all of my circumstances than I know He is in control and has great purposes and plans...all opportunity for the spreading of the Gospel...amid any difficulties or trials I might encounter here on earth.
8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Evidently, I am too old to drink coffee past dinnertime.  I did the other night and stayed away the entire night long.  Argh.  Then, to catch up, I slept in this morning....ugh....and now I'm behind.

No comments: