Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Hodgepodge: Sense of time...




1. What would you say is your strongest sense? 
Hearing...I have always had sensitive and intelligent ears.  I love languages and accents and pick up on them easily...so easily that I tend to copy how people talk and have to catch myself.  It feels fun on my tongue.  This strong sense is a bit of curse though...especially in our new house where I hear every new sound and cannot seem to sleep well at night.  Ugh.

2. Do you believe in the idea of a 'sixth sense'? Why or why not?
It's an interesting idea.  I 'get' what people are trying to describe...a gut feeling of sorts.  I do think that there are times we need to trust our gut.  But, there are also times where we can get carried away by our emotions and feelings and that's a mistake.  I guess my answer is no.

3. When do you most feel like a slave to time? Explain.
Generally, I feel like a slave to time when I'm in a hurry and it involves the kids.  I feel rushed and like I'm missing the most important things and I hate that!  The constant companion that phones have become makes me feel this way too.  People need an answer and they need it RIGHT NOW.  I miss my answering machine that I checked once a day when I got home from work.  

4. Have you ever worked in a restaurant? How would you rate the experience? If you could own a restaurant what kind would it be? 
Yes.  I was a dishwasher/prep cook in college and then later I worked at McDonalds too.  It was hot, sweaty work.  It taught me the value of money and the value of my education.  It taught me to value people too.  Many blue collared workers never get recognized for how hard work is...and many are badly treated.  You will never see me be unkind, impatient or cruel with a restaurant worker partially because of what I learned working.  That is a priceless lesson.

5. Ever traced your family tree? Share something interesting you learned there.
Sort of...I haven't but a few family members have and I've learned from their findings.  I visited Denny, Scotland (Denny is my maiden name) and met a few Denny's while there...long distant relatives no doubt.  It was sheep pastures mostly.  Very pretty and remote.

6. What did your childhood bedroom look like?
My bedroom was large and had a cubby off the middle of it with a window.  I used it as a play area, reading area and dressing area by spells.  It had white curtains with little rosebuds.  The carpet was blue shag and hard to vacuum.  I had a bunk bed with a double on the bottom and single on top.  Anytime we had company they took my room.  I had a white eyelet bedspread with pastel color in the lace.  The giant black cat we had used to hide under the dust ruffle and pounce on my feet.  The room had radiators and I'd climb up on them to see out the high windows...those kind that cranked out!  Good memories...

7. Anyone who knows me knows I love_______________________?
Turquoise, cobalt blue glass, clocks, oil lamps, books, coffee but hopefully most of all....GOD!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
In case you missed it I moved this month.  I posted about my life and whirlwind if you go back a post!  Phew...I'm tired.  I probably should be unpacking something but there is only so much unpacking a gal can do before she cracks!

2 comments:

Joyce said...

People mid-move should definitely blog. Otherwise you will lose your mind : ) I am with you! Hope your hubs is enjoying his new role too. Congrats!

Barbara H. said...

I'm not sure which sense would be the strongest. Maybe taste - I'm often commenting that something doesn't taste right or needs something when everyone else says it is fine. I don't know much about my family tree and would like to research it some time. I agree about many blue collar workers not getting recognized for all they do and go through.