Saturday, January 4, 2020

Books: Goals and Organization 2020

I have organized my books into categories:  To Re-read, Already Own/Started, To-Read from Library and Audiobooks.  I have a crazy amount of books that I already own.  I've decided to try to be a better steward of my resources and try to get any additional books from the library.

Already, I've established a caveat to this rule.  If I'm teaching a book based study I need to own it, in paperback.  I've tried to lead from the kindle (read cheaper) and I can't do it.  I can't see the page notations and page numbers in the same way.  I also can't get it from the library because I need it for such a long period of time.

So, for this year I have purchased:
Knowing God by J.I. Packer
Now, I have a copy from college that my husband has confiscated as his own, so having to purchase this new copy isn't really my fault.  We are going through this with our Faith Group and we generally try to share a copy but since the original is looking rather well-loved and is marked with all his personal notes we agreed I could get a new copy.  Initially, we got a study guide copy and it was horrible...gray, recycled paper and very hard to read.  I haven't read this book since college and now that I'm two chapter in I'm remembering why this is a highly recommended classic.
The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer
I'm finishing out leading the attributes of God with my college girls group.

On deck from my already own/started list:
(this is not even a close representation of the real number of books in this category:-)
Comfort From The Cross by Elyse Fitzpatrick
This is a month's worth of short devotional readings.  Very gospel focused and encouraging!  I only have about two days left to finish this book.
Helper By Design by Elyse Fitzpatrick
I read about half of this and then decided to start back at the beginning because I was asked to consider leading a study on it and I want to read it more methodically than I was originally.  This has been super convicting but she has a great sense of humor so that helps lessen the blow a lot.
Pray With Your Eyes Open by Richard Packer
I would like to grow in my prayer life and this book came highly recommended from a pastor friend.
Suffering and the Sovereignty of God by Piper & Taylor
I was asked to read this in prep for teaching the attribute of Sovereignty for Tozer group above.

A lesser priority is my to read from library list:
Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy by Mark Vroegop
Recommended by a godly lady at church that I really respect and am encouraged by weekly.  She said it helped her grow in her prayer life.
Spiritual Disciplines by Don Whitney
A dear friend who buried a son and adopted a daughter this year highly recommended this book.  I have seen her suffer well and am excited to read this book that helped her in this incredible year.

Audiobooks are used when I'm cleaning so they are usually fiction:
I don't have a list per se...but I include any of my Agatha Christie collection that I haven't read off my bookshelf.  They are easy to find in audio book form and I don't have to concentrate too closely.

Re-reads are rare but often desired:
Ephesians: Our Immeasurable Blessings in Christ by MacArthur
I am using my notes from this study to aide me as the college sponsors go through Ephesians this semester.  I figure, why recreate the wheel.
Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges
This isn't a long read and is highly convicting.  Might make it a morning devotional type read.

My plan is to make this blog start working for me.  I've grown to love listing and accountability logs so I'm going to start doing that with books and crafting.  Hopefully, giving a monthly report.

No comments: