Monday, June 8, 2009

Marquee Monday- Why worry when you can pray!?

I enjoy church signs. Okay...mostly, I enjoy picking on them. Every once in a while one really strikes me. On my way to the grocery store I saw one that I liked...

"Why worry when you can pray?"

How true. Sometimes I think I'm the exact opposite, as ridiculous as that is...my inner chant is why pray when you can worry. BUT Worry is soooo wrong. In fact, it's sin!

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Phil. 4:6

I also love the fact that it adds nothing, and helps nothing to worry.

"And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?" Matt. 6:27

It humbles me to realize that I bumble about in my anxious worrying heart...when he is waiting for me to simply bring it to Him in prayer.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matt. 11:28-30

It all makes me think of the hymn by William Walford...Sweet Hour of Prayer...and since I couldn't decide on just one verse...here they all are!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father's throne
Make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief,
My soul has often found relief
And oft escaped the tempter's snare
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
The joys I feel, the bliss I share,
Of those whose anxious spirits burn
With strong desires for thy return!
With such I hasten to the place
Where God my Savior shows His face,
And gladly take my station there,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless.
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I'll cast on Him my every care,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!


Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
May I thy consolation share,
Till, from Mount Pisgah's lofty height,
I view my home and take my flight:
This robe of flesh I'll drop and rise
To seize the everlasting prize;
And shout, while passing through the air,
Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer!

1 comment:

Kayren said...

I enjoyed the entire post, and I enjoy church marquees, too. I'm sure you've received the emails with the marquees and the bulletin bloopers too.