Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Solo Deo Gloria...Fresh Prayer!


In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart. -- John Bunyan 
  I'm generally not a weepy sap...I'd like to say that for the record.  But I felt weepy the other night as I prayed with a new believer.  She was nervous about praying together...out-loud...and rather than hide or leave early, she understood the blessings that might come from shared prayerful worship; she agreed to pray with me.  I told her that it wasn't for those around her to hear...she was praying to God..."so just talk like you would in your head or at home."

WOW...what a remarkable blessing...to hear the tender love of a person who newly understands the special love of Jesus...and is rejoicing every second in their salvation.  It was convicting and amazing.  She ended with, "Oh Lord Jesus...I just love you so very much...amen!  *...See!  I'm getting weepy all over again while I type this...isn't that just precious!?

Prayer is not so much an act as it is an attitude—an attitude of dependency, dependency upon God. 
--Arthur W. Pink 

 The more I pray...really really pray...I'm convicted of what Mr. Pink is saying.  It's about being broken in my attitude and really seeing who God is...just like my friend, it's realizing the joy of salvation for an awful sinner like me.  I certainly don't deserve it...and how dare I only come to Him with list of suggestions and requests.  I need to realize He's already in perfect control.  I want to pray that He will just see fit to use me...however, whenever...And let Him worry about the rest.  

Prayer does not fit us for the greater work, prayer is the greater work. 
--Oswald Chambers 

 Prayer is always God's way.  It honors Him.  God can break any chains in answered prayer.  I've felt convicted lately that I don't pray for things that I think are impossible.  Come on, I know everyone out there has those situations that seem like there's no light at the end of tunnel.  That loved one will never come to Christ, this job will never change, my spouse will always/never...etc.  Often it's about our mental attitude...and our understanding of Christ.  

Who is this God I serve...and what is he really capable of?  And if He chooses to answer me NO...or WAIT...do I love Him and understand that He is loving me perfectly in His answer?

 

3 comments:

Michelle said...

It is hard to pray through those impossible situations. Thank you for reminding me that I need to and must. God is so much bigger than I can comprehend. I need to trust ALL of my heart and struggles and requests to Him and let Him deal with them in His time and way.

Stacy @ Heartprints of God said...

I don't think we truly understand the power available to us through the privilege of prayer. If we truly did, we would forever be in a season or attitude of prayer.

Powerful post!
~Stacy

Barbara H. said...

New believers are inspiring and convicting.

I often hear people say they don't quite understand prayer when God already knows our needs. They do pray, they just don't understand the reason for it. But I think, like you say, it's a matter of our submitting to His will, and it's not just about getting needs met.