Wednesday, March 21, 2012

TERMINAL illness

I've been having some tests run...hopefully nothing serious...just some stomach troubles. But, being a rather morbid soul, I find myself considering what if...I only had a year left to live...what if it's...TERMINAL.
And then...it hit me...we're all terminal!  My life here on earth is very temporary.  In fact, the flowers in my garden remind me of Psalm 103:15-17, 
"As for man, his days are like grass;
         As a flower of the field, so he flourishes.
When the wind has passed over it, it is no more,
         And its place acknowledges it no longer.
But the lovingkindness of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him."
One of my dearest friends reminded me not worry about what I can't change...and that's a good point.  I teasingly snarked back that I wasn't worrying, I was musing!  The truth is...I want to have an eternal perspective about...EVERY day.  Cuz, it could be my last!
The sheer fact that I will give an account of my time to the LORD...should be a sobering thought..."Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." Eph. 5:15-17
When I walk around thinking...TERMINAL...I find that I'm better at walking worthy...which I recently discovered means "having equal weight"...meaning that my calling and conduct are in balance.  I'm more able to be humble (not focused on self), gentle (choosing my words with care), and patient (able to look with love at the persons irritating me)!
SO, these are your last days...life is a but a fleeting vapor.  How are you living? 

If TERMINAL causes you to fear...may I ask...do you know for sure where you are going after this life is over? 

"For the wages of sin is death (eternal death in HELL), but the free gift of God is eternal life (IN HEAVEN) in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Romans 6:23 (Emphasis mine)

2 comments:

Marti said...

What great inspiration this post is. I don't fear death, but I try to make sure that what I do now will count for eternity.

Barbara H. said...

Hope you tummy troubles are gone soon and nothing serious.

I have a tendency with any symptom to jump to the worst thing it could be.

Sometimes when someone dies tragically young, I have to remind myself that none of us is promised the next day. It's so easy to forget but we need to incorporate the truths you wrote of today.