Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Bird Lover Hodgepodge

1.  April 26th is National Audubon Day, honoring John James Audubon, the French-American ornithologist, naturalist, and painter known for his detailed study and illustration of birds in their natural habitats. Do you have a bird feeder? Any birds in your home decor? Have you ever owned a pet bird? What's your favorite bird?  

I attribute my love of birds to my parents.  We had Audubon and Peterson books all throughout my formative years.  We kept a running log of birds we'd spied in the binoculars by the door.  My Dad made amazing bird carvings that I now get to showcase in my home.  I have a rescued nest filled with eggs/shells I've found abandoned...along with a feather collection.

This winter was the first I tried to go without a bird feeder...it's in a difficult spot to fill, I thought I'd cut costs and I had a lot going on...but I really missed it....especially chickadees and cardinals.  I do have my oriole feeder up this spring and one hummingbird feeder for any early travelers.

My favorite bird is the chickadee...short and spunky, like me! 

2. What's something you took to 'like a duck to water'? 

Reading...I learned easily around 3 years old and never stopped!

3. Empty nest, nest egg, proud as a peacock, free as a bird, birds of a feather flock together, or the early bird catches the worm...choose one and tell us how it currently applies to your life. 

Early bird catches the worm.  I get up very early these days so I can see my teens before they head to school.  I've found it to be a surprise blessing.  I get to watch the sunrise, pray for them, and get some stretches in before I have to jump into other tasks.  

4. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds...your favorite seed and a favorite food or dish made with that seed or topped with that seed? Have you tried all the seeds on the list? Any you don't care for? 

I have tried all of these seeds.  I'm a seed fan.  My friends and I call them 'hippie seeds'...haha.  I have a recipe for protein balls that I will attach.  Super easy and fun snack to share.



5. Something in the past week that made you 'happy as a lark'?

We've had the opportunity to have friends over for Friday games and dinner...and also hosted a gaggle of college kids for Sunday lunch.  My happy place is hospitality.  My heart was " happy as a lark!"

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Finally cut up some fabric to begin my 'canning quilt'...I haven't done much sewing since February...I don't know that this will be the final layout but it's a start.  I have A LOT of fruit and veggie fabric because I've been collecting for years.  The idea is that it's canning jars on the countertop as viewed from above.  



6 comments:

Debby said...

Hippie seeds? - never heard of that before. Seems many of us, are "early birds." Enjoyed your answers.

ellen b. said...

How fun to keep a log of the birds you see. Those are great blessings you mention for rising early. God bless and keep your teens. Love reading about your gift of hospitality!

Joyce said...

It's nice to see you in the Hodgepodge today. I'm an early bird too and love the quiet of the morning. We get the sunrise over the lake out our back door so that's generally where I start my day. It never gets old. Have a great rest of the week!

Lisa Laree said...

I was a duck for reading, too. Only thing I could think of that actually came easily, lol.

I am envious of early birds...I am totally a night owl... ;-)

Kym said...

My love of birds and my love of reading started very young too, and my parents and grandparents were so supportive. I started reading at 3 and I think I was about 8 when my parents gave me my first field guide to birds. I love your canning quilt top - it's beautiful! Have a great week!

Kirstin said...

Oh my goodness...i love that carved bird. How neat to have all those books and keep a log. I loved wildlife and had a few books growing up that I enjoyed looking at. That quilt is really neat.