Friday, June 6, 2008

Laments on a blogging idol...

I really had to take a serious look at my blogging motives recently. I had already realized that there was an addictive side to this whole experience. The computer can get in my way--and take up too much of my time--just like anything.

I put parameters on how much writing I was allowed to do--only one, per blog, per day max. I decided I would only check my facebook and blurf once a week. All these things helped but I just didn't feel at peace with it all. Something was nagging at me and I think I've finally pinpointed it. I had started to seeing blogging as something to succeed at in my SAHM, lacking social support, sort of way. I was seeing blogging not just as the "fun outlet, chance to write, chance to share with family and friends my family and friends" sort of thing but as the "how can I become featured, link to cool blogs, bling up my blog" sort of thing.

We're all kidding ourselves if we think this blogging world isn't competitive. Many women use them to advertise crafty businesses, to outlet their stifled dreams and goals, to vent where they feel they have a voice. That's not necessarily a problem but it is if it gets in the way of God.

Things so easily become idols. Mine might be blogging, yours might be sports or shopping.

On this the Bible is clear...
Deuteronomy 5 (New International Version) emphasis mine
1 "Hear, O Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them.
... 7 "You shall have no other gods before me." 8 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 10 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

On that note I think that I need to set some motives for my blogs that are good and God based. I blog to...
1. Keep friend and family abreast of the many happy happenings in our growing family (mostly on MomE blog) and to let friends and family know my quirky thoughts on funny and not so funny issues.
2. Make new friends and gain insight from the wisdom of others out there in the blogging clouds.

Parameters of Caution...
1. God is God and I am not. Only He can meet my needs for encouragement, comfort, and outlet. He should be the first one I present these blogs to--to assure that they honor Him and bring glory to His Name.
2. Each time I am on this blog, I should first have assessed if I truly should be doing this and not something else. Therefore, ya'll may see less of me but that's all good.

I'm so thankful for God's conviction upon my heart. Although it is unpleasant and gives me no rest, I do know that Proverbs 3:11-12 says, "My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, 12 because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in."

No comments: