Monday, July 25, 2011

I'm not really HOME...yet.

"Heaven is not here, it's There.  If we were given all we wanted here, our hearts would settle for this world rather than the next.  God is forever luring us up and away from this one, wooing us to Himself and His still invisible Kingdom, where we will certainly find what we so keenly long for."  
~Elisabeth Elliot
Although I was vastly enjoying God's creation during this recent vacation....I was also churning and worrying about the threat of Horizontal Fracking on this beautiful place that I've loved for so long.  Several neighboring states have destroyed their watersheds and beauty...and I shudder and allow my mind to freak out about that possibility for my place. 
But, then I read EE's words above...and I'm also reminded of..."Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys [nor fracking pollutes] For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Luke 12:33-34

Funny, I just said to a friend of mine..."God always seems to bring me back to His attributes and character."  He NEVER changes...He's ALWAYS in control.  He's ALL-POWERFUL (He can keep it from happening or allow it)...He's ALL-KNOWING (He knows the politics of it all...and He knows my emotions about it all)...
And...although the beauty can be mesmerizing...It's NOT heaven.
Sunday I was reminded of that song...
This world is not my home I'm just passing through
my treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

O Lord you know I have no friend like you
if Heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do?
the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
and I can't feel at home in this world anymore
"Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Sunday's really juicy tidbit was..."There is only true peace when you know Jehovah Shalom" based on  Judges 6.  This is shown by our faith, true obedience and it's influence on those around us.  How will the world know I'm different if I panic and run in circles with the rest of them? 
There IS hope...and it's in JESUS CHRIST...alone!





11 comments:

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Oh, Bobbi -- this is my first time here (from Hear It on Sunday), and this was so beautiful on so many levels. The pictures, the place, just lovely. And your words. Such truth handpicked from the Word. Thank you!

Barbara H. said...

That is one of my favorite quotes of EE's, one that has stayed with me when I have to go and remind myself of others. I've wondered more about heaven now that I have loved ones there, and also as I get older myself. I've wondered sometimes why we don't know more about it until I read where she said if we did, we'd never get anything done here -- like when we tell a child they're going some place special and then they can't concentrate on anything else.

This was a lovely post in many ways, the photos, the "theme," the truth, the conclusion. Thanks!

Joyce said...

Such gorgeous pictures and I too love the wise words from Elizabeth Elliott

Jen said...

Beautiful Photos. And oh, I love it, "God is constantly luring us up and away." How true and how beautiful...the pulling of the Father...to Himself. ~ Jen

Christina Klas said...

What Beautiful, beautiful words... I so often crave more and different ways to feel at home - when this is NOT my home anyway! Be content with what I have because none of it even belongs to me... I'm just passing through. :)

Connie said...

Bobbi, this is all perfect and just what I needed this day. Thank you.

All for GOD,
Connie

Lisa notes... said...

As beautiful as this earth can be, it won't hold a candle to Heaven. I love how God has given us a wonderful glimpse of his creation, but the best is definitely yet to come!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Thanks for sharing your thought and beautiful pictures with the beautiful Elisabeth Elliot quote.

Fondly,
Glenda

Unknown said...

I love how you juxtaposed the beauty of earth as incomparable to the beauty and richness of Heaven. Such wisdom in your heart.

As always, so glad to see you at SDG!

Michelle DeRusha said...

Hi Bobbi -- So nice to meet you here; and thank you for linking up such a lovely and compelling post at Graceful! That first quote really makes me think of my own restlessness. Sometimes I feel a yearning that I can't quite define...and I am beginning to think God placed that yearning in my heart, to keep pining for him and not be satisfied with the material gifts this earthly world has to offer.

So much food for thought here...and your pictures -- beautiful!

Shanda said...

There is so much good stuff to comment on but I will stick to one. The song, This world is not my home, is one of my favorite. As I get older, I am more and more grateful that there is something better and more. My heart isn't quite here anymore!