Monday, August 27, 2012

Hear It on Sunday, Use it on Monday

Photo Source: Pinterest via Observando

I just love those Sunday sermons that create intense, deep conversations with the Loverbrains...so we BOTH don't take a nap. DUH...m!

Pastor Mark is currently doing a series on THE WILL OF GOD.  Watch out...if you don't like having your toes stepped on...this series is not for you.  Yesterday, was on how does our will relate to God's will.  Obviously, it should be yielded and in alignment with God's or we're out of whack.  But, as is often the case...Pastor didn't deal with the obvious.

I knew I was in trouble when he started talking about the struggle between our will and God's will;  how we just aren't ok with things not going our way.  We are to offer REAL WORSHIP to God...in spirit and truth.  He said the word is PROSKUNEO in Hebrew (Er, hello...NT...I meant GREEK!)...and it means to offer or bring to someone...in this case HONOR.  I looked it up and found, "meaning to kiss, like a dog licking his master's hand), to fawn or crouch to, homage (do reverence to, adore): worship." It occurs 59 times in the New Testament. It originally carried with it the idea of subjects falling down to kiss the ground before a king or kiss their feet.

So, how do I offer worship?  Does it please Him??  So, a sermon I thought was going to be on the will of God...was really about what makes up genuine worship.  Hmmm...interesting connection.

First, we need to GIVE FROM A WILLING HEART.  Luke 21:1-4...genuine worship doesn't care what anyone else sees. 2 Cor. 9:7...which is the only way to be a cheerful giver.  This isn't necessarily about giving money either.  (I know how much people love to have their wallets challenged..ha)  I chose to take this personally on the level of giving my time, my talents too.  It's all about heart motive.

Next, we need to YIELD FROM A WILLING MIND.  Is. 6:1-8....when we recognize our sinfulness and God's holiness and His amazing forgiveness, we are humbled and it all demands genuine worship.  We don't argue with Him!  God has the "right of way"...HIM first.  1 Chron. 28:9...one of the hardest things to control is my thoughts.  Does He have my mind?

Last, we need to SERVE WITH WILLING HANDS.  1 Chron. 28:21...no matter who or what we do we need to be willing to serve for any kind of purpose.  2 Cor. 5:8...willing to be what God wants me to be.

If we are offering true, genuine worship...we will be willing to live selflessly, unselfishly, and honestly before the world.  Very different from the world.

And, in case you're wondering...our deep, napless discussion was on the struggle to yield God's Will...to the unknowns that the future may hold...but He actually does hold.  And, why it's so frustrating when people tell you not to consider the future because we're in the "end times" and how TRUSTING GOD is at the root of just about everything.  I love my deep thinkin', very patient, Loverbrains!
 

No comments: