Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Hodgepodge Quietude

1. What's something you resolved to do this year? Have you done it?
I have resolved to keep more organized with reading and sewing.  I think I've done better than in past years.  I haven't met some goals because very obviously, life has changed.  I ended up making 50 plus masks and that certainly wasn't on my radar.  I also resolved to eat less carbs and exercise more consistently.  I have not consistently done this...but I'm back on track this week.
2. Where do you go to find quietude?
I have made my sewing room a place of quietude.  I hauled a rocking chair and all my devotional/reading stuff up there, and a place to set my drink.  I used to spend my morning in the study but my Loverbrains started working in that space so I couldn't concentrate and it was not quiet or peaceful.  But, the items in the sewing room, the fact that I can close the door, open the window and listen to the birds, listen to any music I want, and concentrate on reading, helps me find peace in the chaos.
3. A friend asked this question on her Facebook page and said I could borrow it for the Hodgepodge...you're only allowed to buy 5 things at the grocery store, and all must start with the first letter of your first name. Whatcha' buying?
1. Bubbles (for the kids to play with...you're never too old)
2. Beans (coffee)
3. Beans (pinto)
4. Beans (jelly)
5. Bengal Tea (my favorite tea, helps me with my quietude)
4. The television show Survivor, the Gloria Gaynor song 'I Will Survive', survival mode, survival of the fittest...pick one and discuss.
Survival mode.  I tend to have way impractical expectations.  Turns out even for quarantine.  I had to readjust this week...for the wellbeing and happiness of my marriage and family.  In many ways we are in survival mode for the rest of the school year, for meals, for what quality time looks like.  This means that screen time is longer than I'd generally prefer.  This means we need space from each other more than we need time together on some days.  We need to survive and there's no special formula for what this looks like right now.
5. Share a favorite quote or saying about strength.
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths." ~Charles Spurgeon

"Life's storms prove the strength of our Anchor."

"David didn't need to know Goliath's strength, because he already knew God's."
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I am pushing myself to work on my counseling exam rewrites.  They are due by June and I only find anxiety in procrastination.  I have decided to use the time my children are working on remote learning to focus on this.  I find it very tedious.  I have to cross through what I've written and rewrite in red which is boggling for my eyes and mind.  Ready for this part of certification to be over.  

4 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I love the quotation about David and Goliath!! And what a nice variety of beans you have. Lol. I have a little jar of Jelly bellies that I forgot about. I'm trying to let it sit there untouched. I was 40 days without sugar during Lent, and afterwards got a reaction from sugar when I ate some. I've decided it's a good thing to try to eliminate altogether! Thanks for stopping in today at Cranberry Morning. I hope you have a good day.

Sue said...

Your quotation about David and Goliath was so inspiring, and was Spurgeon's quote.
I too get anxious when I procrastinate, and when I see procrastination, though I have found since getting older, I seem to practice it more.
Thanks for sharing.
Sue

WW said...

Someday when I have my own house, I hope to have a separate crafting room. I always find solace in crafting.
I like you're thinking of beans (jelly). Today is Jelly Bean Day.

ellen b. said...

I so enjoy Spurgeon. I'm always sharing his quotes to anyone who will listen. Your shopping list cracked me up! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge! Have a great rest of the week.