Monday, December 7, 2009

Shine...don't be Scroogie!

"Oh! But he was a tight-fisted hand at the grind-
stone, Scrooge! a squeezing, wrenching, grasping,
scraping, clutching, covetous, old sinner! Hard and
sharp as flint, from which no steel had ever struck out
generous fire; secret, and self-contained, and solitary
as an oyster. The cold within him froze his old features,
nipped his pointed nose, shrivelled his cheek,
stiffened his gait; made his eyes red, his thin lips blue;
and spoke out shrewdly in his grating voice."

A Christmas Carol: Stave 1, Marley's Ghost

I'd love to say that I thought Christmas brings out the best in everyone...but...there seem to be more bleak spots than bright this season so far. No matter how hard I try I always end up over scheduled...often faking the cheerful spirit...often grouching at those I love most. I'd love to say that celebrating advent has solved all my scroogie problems...but it hasn't.

So, should we all be like Polly Anna and "look for the good" in everyone? We could just ignore the bad...right? Well...first off...no one is good...we're all sinners...

Romans 3:23, "
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"

...so looking for good might just run us into the ground. Not that there isn't any good...I mean today...for example...a nice lady got me a shopping cart and another nice guy put it away. (I must look like I have my hands full...shopping with two toddlers in the snow! HA!) AND...I'm grateful for their kindness...but the bigger issue isn't really how to deal with the nice people...the do gooders...it's those scrooges...oh...

For example, those grouchy postmasters who treat you like an idiot cuz you don't quickly hustle to the counter because you are trying to gather your packages and toddlers first...and repeats himself loudly to embarrass you in front of all the other patrons.

OR...those ladies in the checkout who glare at you when you break out your coupons...

OR...the drivers..."holiday shoppers"...insane people who didn't go to driving school...

OR...the people who hammer on you at church to do everything and anything cuz you're young and you have time...you don't work, right? Ugh...

I find myself praying that God would help me
...guide me
...at all costs
...to POINT TO CHRIST!

Philippians 2:14, "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe."

That's my goal for this crazy season...
...no matter how scroogie the individual I encounter may be
...no matter how tired I might be
...even if it's my Loverbrains who should know better (haha)...

Focus on Christ...and maybe it will keep you from road rage, glaring back, or telling someone off this season...if so, I'm glad. Even more important though...share with others about Christ...the GIFT of Christmas...

Matthew 1:21, "She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

I'm struck by...Isaiah 9:6,
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

That is my God...who can surely help me with any awful scrooge out there...who can help me see scrooge with compassionate, Jesus like eyes...who can share the free gift of salvation with anyone...no matter how much they embarrass, anger, upset, or demean me...after all, they killed him!

Isaiah 53:7, "He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth."

Align Center

No comments: