Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Word FILLED Wednesday: Megaphone...

I totally desire to hear God's voice. Okay, don't get all spooky and googly eyed on me...I don't mean an audible voice...but the awareness of His presence. The Holy Spirit indwells me...I better be listening and seeking His leading, right? Well, I heard a funny story yesterday...about a lady who said she wished God would use a MEGAPHONE when talking to her. I chuckled...and the more I thought about it...the more it struck me.

Rarely, if ever, do I feel God has spoken LOUDLY to me.

1 Kings 19:11-13 "The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by."
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"


Then I was thinking...How do we learn a voice? We all have those friends who call us and just start talking. Sometimes, it takes a while to figure out who's calling. (Yes, I don't have caller ID.) But, the voice I recognize first...is the voice I hear most often. WOW...so is God's voice (HIS WORD) what you hear most often. That just snapped me to attention...I need to spend time reading His Word...but also in memorizing it too. I want His voice to be on my mind and in my thoughts throughout the day.

Then, there comes the whole issue of responding to His voice. You know, that gentle nudging to get up and do what is right...or maybe to flee from what is evil... And that, my friends...is how you get your megaphone. I think that the more you respond to God's leading...the louder you hear it the next time. Unfortunately, the converse is true...when we ignore it we deaden ourselves to hearing it.

So, the solution...or the plan...BIBLE STUDY AND PRAYER. There is no alternative. Safety comes from listening to Him, our Good Shepherd...and not to the thieves and robbers. Oh, you know them...the false shepherds...temptations

...computers, TVs

...maybe time, effort, $ for self interests. Ouch!

So, what voice speaks the loudest in your life? I don't know about you...but I want to turn up the volume!!

"Let us see that we keep God before our eyes; that we walk in His ways and seek to please and glorify Him in everything, great and small. Depend upon it, God's work, done in God's way, will never lack God's supplies." Hudson Taylor

To join WWW...head over to Lori's...

6 comments:

Vickie said...

Bobbi, this is so timely. I desire to hear God's voice every which way I turn. I too know that it comes from constant contact with Him and that's my prayer for this year that I would hear what He says and fully obey His word.

Blessings to you.
Have an awesome Word filled Wednesday

Vickie

Kaye Swain said...

What a wonderful verse to encourage us, along with a terrific picture AND a great devotional. I especially appreciated the Hudson Taylor quote and will be saving that! Thank you. :)

Barbara H. said...

Very good post. I posted something I wrote for my son the other day about knowing God's will in the larger sense of "what to do with my life," what direction to pursue as far as job, career, etc., but I think leading in the "big" questions comes along with listening and obeying in the everyday ones.

Michele Williams said...

Great pic and verse. I love the devo too. It goes along with mine as well. Thank you for sharing.

Pia said...

this is my prayer every night, that God opens my spiritual ears so i can hear His voice clearly.

His Unfailing Love said...

Thank you for this verse. It's always my prayer and desire to listen to His voice.