Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Word FILLED Wednesday: Target Shooting...

I heard a story I found hilarious the other day...actually it was at the last day of my favorite Bible study. Well, it was funny at first...until I got the point. Ouch!

We were told the story of this guy who was driving through the country and came to this old barn. He stopped because he saw a whole bunch of targets painted on the back...and even more amazing...each had an arrow directly in the bulls-eye. He went out into the field to talk to the farmer. He said, "Gee, you must be quite a good shot...I noticed your target shooting on the barn." The farmer said, "Oh that!? Yeah, that was my son's doing. Ya see, he shot all those arrows at the barn and then went and painted the targets around them like that!"

Seriously, I laughed and giggled for quite a bit about this...but the application is what hurts. We are created to do the good works HE'S prepared for us to do. It shocked me to think how often I don't ask for blessing until after the fact. You can't shoot the arrows in life or ministry and then draw the target afterward. The point was that only when Christians follow Jesus' leading do they have eternal results in ministry.

So, are you seeing the eternal value in your life and work? Do you see the Lord's activity at work in you...cuz you're doing what He's prepared??

For more WFW go to...Lori's where it's all you have to give.

12 comments:

lori said...

You know this is just SPOT on Bobbi! Each day I say a prayer...a simple one, "Use me." I have to ask that in order that it's HIS steps that order mine...without asking for the blessing or praying for Him to guide, there is no telling what kind of arrows will be flying.

What a great application!! I'll be using that around here!!

peace!

lori

annies home said...

that is a great story I believe that I may share it with my teens as many times we want to paint a pretty picture all though we do not always want to do the work that needs to be done to achieve such goals

Karen said...

Awesome object lesson!

Brian the old man said...

This is so true, I like the story and the photo and verse are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Chelle said...

So true, and what a fantastically humorous way of saying it!

HisFireKids.com said...

You know what...this is an OUCH...thanks so much for sharing. Knowing God's will for us is the main thing...

partialemptynester said...

Love this!! I used this same verse today...it's written on my daughter's wall, too...I think I should draw targets around it to remind me! Happy WFW!!

Denise said...

So very true.

Susan said...

Oh that was sooooooooooo funny!!!

Great verse, and so true♥

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

Love it - what a wonderful story! I need to process this one for a while - super deep thought and a wonderful one to ponder. Thanks for making me think, Bobbi!

Ozjane said...

good one...we can be so relaxed when we know we are in His will and it is Him who is working through us.

jubilee said...

What a great illustration. Thanks for sharing. I'll be thinkin' about this for awhile, for sure.