Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Book Reviews 3 & 4

If it freaks anyone out that I have four books done...I read nonfiction super fast. Also, these two books overlap ALOT!

Making Your Kids Mind without Losing Yours by Dr. Kevin Leman-is the BIG book. It has everything in it.

Have A New Kid By Friday by Dr. Kevin Leman -is the condensed version. I really liked it and found it much more practical in application, etc.

Some of his ideas I've had immediate success with already! Say it once, turn your back, walk away! WOW! Some, I'm not so sure about. He says that if your child has a tantrum in the store to step over them and walk away. In this day and age that makes me nervous. It makes me nervous that someone will have their child abducted trying this out in the busy mall. I get the concept...but I'd be careful. For the record, I did do that in the library today and it DID work like a charm. She forgot about her tantrum (regarding leaving) and hopped up to chase after my retreating back. Then she was easily distracted to "tromp-tromp" over the little wooden bridge by the door. So, it works but it is no holds barred! Which, is how it should be.

My favorite sections (in both books) talks about the difference between authoritarian, authoritative and permissive parenting. It was so interesting and really put it at the parent's feet. WOW--I have a lot of work to do...on myself!

To check out my Fall Reading List just click here.

5 comments:

berrypatch said...

Hey there! I saw your link over at Katrina's & was interested in what you thought. I read this book a few months ago. I liked it. I'm still working on being consistent but I probably pull it out again & review. ;-)

Unknown said...

I've seen the book 'Have a New Kid by Friday' on several bloggers' reading lists. Thanks for the review, I will have to check it out.

Steve and Eden said...

I totally need this book. I'll definitely be adding it to my list of books to read in the future.

Lora @ my blessed life said...

I'm currently reading *Making Your Child Mind....* It's really good!

Kayren said...

I still haven't started Have a New Kid by Friday yet, but it's still on my list. I'm reading Living Simply for my non-fiction right now and it is a wonderful book. Maybe I'll finish it over the weekend...