Friday, October 3, 2008

Know & Tell Friday...

1. Do you have fake plants in your house? Do you like them?

I am not a big fan of fake plants...although, I do have one. We got her when we got the china cabinet and needed something for the top of it. None of my real plants could hack that kind of sunlight deprivation so we got a nice silk ivy thing in a cast iron potter. Writing this, I am reminded that I really should climb up there and dust the poor thing.

I love real plants. I'm currently sprawling rhododendrons all over my house. My kids have never bothered them, PTL and I can't seem to kill them...even when I try. I just cut off a hunk from the ends and plunk it in water and "hydroponically" grow roots in my kitchen window. Makes me feel healthy...which is saying something since I have bronchitis right now! HA! The mother plant was a gift from one of my third graders my first year teaching. Sniff, sniff...now I'm getting all sentimental!

2. What is the oldest piece of furniture you have that is not an antique? Describe it.

I'm not sure if our piano or china cabinet is older but they are old and not necessarily antiques. My mother tells me that it isn't nice to consider furniture from her birth time antique! HA! The china cabinet was an important furniture purchase for us. We knew we'd be having kids but realized our china was in perilous danger stored on a rickety metal baker's rack. We'd have friends over with their kiddos and the thing would shake and sway....yikes!

3. Do you have any antiques?

I am slowly inheriting certain things. I've received beautiful dishes from one grandmother and great grandmother and beautiful chairs from the other grandmother. I have started "junking" with my mom and sometimes we come out with antiques too. I like antique kitchen stuffs. Recently, I purchased an antique flour sifter...my mom has my grandmother's and I bought one identical to it. I also get good deals on antiques at garage sales. I got an antique school desk for $5 and an antique book holder stand for $10. Sometimes, people just want them to go to a good home. One couple practically forced an antique chair on me. It's still in the garage waiting to be redone. I went to my first estate sale this year. That was sort of creepy...to see someones' life all laid out on the lawn...but antiquing is definitely something I think I'll do more of in the future.

4. What type of dishes do you use? China, stoneware, Corelle, Tupperware, paper plates?

Our everyday dishes are a mish mash of what we had in college...and yes, we've been married for five years and we're still using them. We do have nice cobalt blue and cream formal china (a wedding gift) but rarely use it. We have young children...enough said. I break out the cups and saucers when I have girlfriends over for playdates...just cuz I like to look at them. I LOVE cobalt blue!

5. What is your favorite thing in your house?

I've been sitting here trying to think of one thing...and I'm stumped. I'm not a real thing person...I have places in my house that I like...but a certain thing...hmmm. I guess, my bookshelves. We are booklovers and have packed full bookshelves...kid book bins and baskets...reading nooks all around. It is very comforting and calming to me.

6. Do you like to use lamps or overhead lighting?

We only have overhead lighting in the kitchen. Our house is one of those ones built 40 years ago when they didn't build houses with overhead lighting. Sometimes it's annoying...like when you have to find a lamp switch in the dark while holding an infant...but most of the time I like the softer light. They're great for bookworms.

7. Are you a pristine white wall person or do you love color?

I was always a beige wall type..which I guess means white wall but have attempted to break out of my shell. I painted our entry way bright yellow...color titled "Number Two Pencil"...and I love it! To see my two year old daughter's reaction...click here. My husband, who helped me greatly with the painting, admits that he was skeptical but now really likes the warmth it brings to the house. I've since painted a bathroom dark brown and plan to do something crazy upstairs soon...I'll keep ya posted.

To check out Know & Tell Friday...or join in the fun...click here.

1 comment:

Kayren said...

I had so much fun reading your answers!

I love that you called your fake plant "her." Your antiques you have inherited sound wonderful. And the things you have been "junking" for sound really neat too.

I love cobalt blue; well, really any blue, but cobalt would be one of my favorite shades. And I love books too. When we get all our things unpacked in our new house and start posting pictures and stuff, you'll get an idea. It's crazy. We have lots of books for homeschooling alone, but add to that all the books we have for pleasure because we love to read, and it's nuts.

I think that yellow is pretty. It's a deeper shade from what I could tell and would match jewel tones, so I like it.

How about I come live with you and get out of this corporate apartment until my house is ready? You have cobalt blue dishes, antiques that sound pretty, a welcoming entryway, and lots of books to read. I think I'd be comfortable there.

~ Kayren