Thursday, March 5, 2009

Checking in for February...


This month I read Genesis, Colossians, Isaiah, Obadiah, Jonah, Matthew, and Amos. Some of these a huge...and I learned and noticed ALOT but this blog would be super duper long if I shared everything...so briefly I shall attempt to share something neat I learned or enjoyed in each book...

Genesis- I write in my Bible...and noticed I had our anniversary date next to Gen. 2:18...cuz that was the verse in our wedding invitations...It said something like, God said, "It is not good for man to be alone, I will make a helper suitable for him...Therefore, by the grace of God...Darren ....and Roberta will be joining together...etc." Neat!
Having so-so mental math skills I added up the ages of people in chapter 5..sort of fun!
Sort of forgot that Abraham had Keturah for a wife in chapter 25...huh....
Colossians-Recently heard a good message about Epaphras...being zealous for the Lord.
I just love chapter 3-4...I would have to write it all out to tell you which parts are the most interesting, convicting, etc. WOW.
Isaiah-I called my Dad up to say thank you...for raising me well...hearing God's Word. I didn't know it but I have Isaiah 53 memorized. My Dad read the whole thing almost every communion service that I can remember...and I DO remember it...I have it in my brain. How neat is that!!??? Didn't even know that's what it was...ugh..but now I do!
Had a good time in chapter 51--noticing the key phrases...Listen, Look, Pay attention, Life up your eyes, Listen to Me!
Again this book is long and just FULL of great things!
Obadiah-Very convicting about pride...God opposes the proud 1:2. Pride is self deceptive..1:3. Pride disdains others...1:11.
Jonah- He really frustrates me in that he is nothing like the God he preaches. 1:4-The calls and commands of God are irrevocable. 1:10-Your sin doesn't only affect you. Neat cross reference to Mt. 12:38--with Jonah 1:17!! Praise God...He can change our perspective and help us see through crisis just like he did with Jonah in chapter 2 with a little forced repentance! God is gracious and compassionate!
Amos- We had a morning and evening sermon on this recently so I read it all that afternoon...Interesting to see the BECAUSE of chapters 1 and 2.
Matthew- Probably the most fun book of February for me! I don't have a cross reference in my Bible so I hauled out my huge study Bible and looked up all the capped words (indicating OT reference) WOW...there are a lot of them and they are so neat. Do this if you have the time for a study! It is so interesting...and as my Dad pointed out to me...Matthew was talking to the Jews...so they woulda shoulda been familiar with all those quotes!

I'm already starting on March...and would have checked in last week but we were getting over a horrible time of sickness! UGH! I started reading Job and Ephesians....

Hope this is an encouragement to ya'll to keep working on your Bible reading too! Thanks for the accountability!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading Isa. off and on for a year or so now. I just have such a love for that book at the moment! And our small group is going through Eph. and it has been a great study as well. Tonia

Kayren said...

Um, I don't remember Keturah either. Doesn't even ring a bell with me.

I finally read Job in The Message the last time I read it through. I always 'got' it, but I didn't 'get' it. Do you know what I mean? Plus I just don't read poetry well, and Job is poetry-ish. I'm just way too left brain for that stuff. I don't get it...that's why the other version helped.

I read Children's Shakespeare in story form for the same reason. A little off the point, but you get the picture.