Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thoughts on faith, fools and doormats...

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry," James 1:19
I'm sure I've mentioned in the past that James is "my book"...the whole first chapter in particular is an underlined area in my Bible! It deals with things I struggle with...my mouth, anger, perseverance... The verse above...is posted on my fridge right now...because it's a place I spend a lot of time...and it helps me in fits of frustration to see the reminder from God's Word. Cuz, well...I'll be honest...usually I find myself being the opposite...SLOW to listen, QUICK to speak, and VERY QUICK to become angry. Ugh...how awful!
I'm reading a book about respecting your husband...cuz those things sort of get in my way of doing that too...*sigh*...and they brought this verse up. And, as often happens, yet another facet of the verse struck me. I mean, I know the verse but...often I can temporarily swallow my anger of course generally seething on the inside. Attempting to wait and see what will happen...and listen ONLY...is a new one to me. I think all things should be in my selfish timing. So, *deep breath*...I'm going to trust God...and just keep quiet and see what happens. Doing that, even just more often than I do currently, would be a huge improvement!

Also, choosing to avoid an argument doesn't make me a doormat. I'd be a doormat if I allowed my opinion to be asked and then pummelled into dust. Trust me...it's difficult to patiently withhold your opinion unless it's asked...or avoid upsetting others and arguing.

Proverbs 29:11, "A fool always loses his temper, But a wise man holds it back."

Phil. 2:14, "Do everything without complaining or arguing."

2 comments:

Karen said...

I struggle in these areas, too...I needed to read this today.....

Kayren said...

James is a favorite of mine. Chatty likes it too. Go figure.