Monday, May 2, 2011

Prayerfully Blogging Along

“The greatest tragedy in life is not unanswered prayer, but unoffered prayer.” -F.B. Meyer

I figure I'm not the only person who does this...but I often find myself thinking in blog.  I don't just mean taking pictures or experiencing something and thinking "This would make a good blog post."  I mean, detailing them out in my head...word by word...sometimes to the point where I think that I already wrote them. 

Remember this.  When people choose to withdraw far from a fire, the fire continues to give warmth, but they grow cold.  When people choose to withdraw far from light, the light continues to be bright in itself but they are in darkness.  This is also the case when people withdraw from God.  ~Augustine

And as I hit a giant emotional, spiritual wall this week...I realized that prayer in my life had largely fallen by the wayside...somewhere in the blogging of it all...I let this be the outlet that only prayer can be.  I say CAN be...because although I pour out thoughts and feelings here, just simply writing it down, getting comments, not getting comments, thinking it out...none of those things are remotely like my GOD...who hears and answers. 

Psalm 120 :1, "In my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me."

So, I'm going to meditate on "praying without ceasing."  I'm not planning to stop blogging...I do enjoy it.  It can be cathartic and helpful in the expression of ideas.  But, it should not take the place of prayer.  This may seem like a moot point to ya'll...and I'll admit that I never thought that it should take the place of prayer.  I'm not a complete idiot.  But, it happened...and by being honest about it...maybe I'll cause someone else to re-examine their blogging and it's place in their walk with Christ.  I think we all need to re think things from time to time. 

Prayer is when you talk to God; meditation is when you listen to God.  ~Diana Robinson


2 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I can see how that could happen, that we can pour out our inmost hearts on our blogs rather than to God. It takes almost constant tweaking to keep blogging in its proper balance.

Thanks for the quotes on prayer!

bekahcubed said...

I loved that first quote of yours--and I definitely identify with letting blogging take the place of...well, quite a lot. If I'm not careful, I can let it take the place of prayer, of personal Bible study (because somehow I think it's more interesting to look for things to share on my blog rather than listening for God to change my heart or call me to obedience), of healthy real life relationships.

Yep, yep, yep. Convicting thoughts today--but good ones!