Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hodgepodge Espresso!


1. Describe a typical Sunday from your childhood.
We had a lot of company.  I remember setting the table...it was MY job!  I loved when my Mom let me set the stemware, crystal glasses.  Being a pastor's home, we were often blessed to get to know missionaries and special speakers after the morning service.  Actually, they usually stayed over at our house too.  Oh, and let's not forget the afternoon nap....a tradition I've taken into my little family too.  I used to hate them if I was told to sleep...but loved them if I was allowed to read.  Nowadays I nap!!
2. How comfortable are you with uncertainty? Explain.
Not at all...I don't know many people who like it.  Even people known for their spontaneity don't like uncertainty.  I suppose those with a firm faith shouldn't be concerned about any of life's uncertainties.  But, the truth is most of us are very human in this area.  I know I am.  I wish that I had a greater faith and trusted God more fully.
3. What have you accomplished recently that might be described as crafty, as in 'arts and crafts' crafty?  If crafty doesn't work for you, how about handy? Or both?
I'm working on all sorts of projects right now...but I can't show you because they are future gifts and can't be opened til Christmas.  The most crafty lately has been THIS....and he's sooo cute!
4. Have you ever worked in a 'food place'? What did you take away from the experience?
I worked at a family restaurant and McDonalds during a few college summers.  It's hard work...and that's not a bad life lesson.  It's also good to learn to work with all kinds of people and people groups.  It's a skill you need for life...no matter what you're going into.  And, it's a good reminder to stick it out at school if you don't want to be working in food service forever.  You learn you could if you had to...but you also learn, you might not want to.  It's hard.
5. Cold turkey, talk turkey, what a turkey...in recent days, which turkey phrase or idiom best applies to you and why? Click on the word turkey if you need to read more about the meaning behind each phrase.
Cold turkey...our family made some drastic, definite decisions without a gradual taper.  Whoa...not for the faint of heart.  Step out in faith.  "To hear with my heart, to see with my soul, to be guided by a hand I cannot hold, to trust in a way that I cannot see...that's what faith must be." 
6. If you could have any one guest join your Thanksgiving dinner table, who would it be?
I wish it was plausible to really have ALL your family together for Thanksgiving...not just one side or extended only so far.  Everybody.  I always feel like there's somebody or some tradition I'm missing.  It probably comes from that extroverted heart of mine.  The only thing that could make a holiday better is MORE people!!  I don't even want to think about how I'm going to feel when my kids have to choose which holidays I "get" and which they spend with their spouse, etc.  Ugh...sounds awful.  I hope I'm as gracious about it as my family always is.
7. What is one thing you must accomplish today?
I need to get all the laundry done...and a sewing project for Saturday sewn.  I'm also working away at a tedious task of tying burlap ties on the ornaments I made for the neighbors this year...coming soon in Sew Saturday...HARK!
8.  Insert your own random thought here.
I'd appreciate any of your prayers.  I hurt my neck and back somehow.  As my friend said, "The weirdest things happen to you!"  Anyhew...I'm pretty grounded from exercise...and I'm finding the laundry today is even more than I can handle.  Ugh.  It has given me good sympathy (or is it empathy) for those in pain though.  In my favorite Bible study ever we are studying Matthew...and were just reading about judgment...a critical spirit.  I've been so convicted...and when I start to judge someone who's being grumpy or not treating me the way I think I should be treated (ha)...I've really been cut to the heart over my need to care about them...and wonder what's going on with them.  It can't be all about me...if I say my life is all about glorifying God. 
 

2 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I am sorry about your back and neck! Hope you're feeling better asap. I've had that happen with my back and knee - no idea what happened, just turned a wrong way, and bam. They sidelined me from exercise and it is hard now to get back into it, mainly from a scheduling standpoint - would like to do it before my shower in the a.m. but would either have to get up ay 5:30 or wait and get my shower after breakfast and everyone has left for the day, and then it feels like half the morning is gone before I'm done. Still pondering.

I agree, I don't think anyone is comfortable with uncertainty, though we can face it with faith.

I lasted at a fast food place about a week when I was a teen. My head was spinning the whole time - too much going on to keep up with. I don't know how they do it.

Joyce said...

I bought supplies to make some cute ornaments I'd seen online, for my extended family. I hope I can do it...might wait until Thanksgiving weekend when my daughter the artist is home to supervise : )

Have a wonderful weekend!