Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Historic Hodgepodge

Moving has taken me out of my comfort zone.  I am very friendly and extroverted...and although I have developed loads of acquaintances in this first year, I often feel uncomfortable.  In many ways, no one really knows me even yet.  It has changed how I extrovert.  I worry I am more surface-y myself as a result...and feel convicted to better invest in friendships.  Proverbs 18:24 really shows the contrast between two types of friends.  I can have loads of acquaintances but still come up empty.  However, even one friend of the second type is a great blessing.  A genuine and authentic friend is someone who sticks closer than a brother.  Since brotherhood is one of the strongest relationships we know...someone who sticks closer than that is a trustworthy friend, indeed.  So, when I feel uncomfortable in this new place, I am thankful for technology and how it allows me to stay connected to my closest sisters in Christ.  And I am thankful for the opportunity to lovingly invest in new friendships here and be a friend that sticks closer than a brother.  God is good and I am comforted.

2. Your least favorite spice?
Lemon Pepper.  I think I get this from my grandmother who can't stand it.  It's not truly lemon or pepper.  It seems artificial somehow.  It overpowers even in small amounts.  I especially don't like it on fish or chicken.

3. What's a small change you'd like to make?
I can think of plenty of big changes I need to make...but small changes?  Well, I guess a small change I'm making to my exercise/diet health plan is to not enter in my exercise.  Someone pointed out to me recently that it creates the wrong mindset or motive for exercise.  I need to exercise because it's good for me...and let the app just log my calories and nutrition.  So far it's worked...I lost two pounds last week.

4. Do you enjoy visiting historic homes? If so, of the homes you've visited which one was your favorite? What historic home near you is open to visitors? Have you been? Southern Living rounded up eleven of the best in the southern part of the US and they're as follows-
Monticello (Jefferson's home in Virginia), Nathaniel Russel House (Charleston SC), Swan House (Atlanta), Ernest Hemingway's home (Key West), The Biltmore (Vanderbilt home in Asheville NC), Mount Vernon (Washington's home in Virgina), San Francisco Plantation (Garyville, Louisiana), Windsor Ruins (Port Gibson Mississippi), Longue Vue House and Gardens (New Orleans), Whitehall (Palm Beach FL), and Pebble Hill Plantation (Thomasville GA)


Have you been to any on the list? Of the homes listed which would you most like to visit?
I've been to re-located historic homes.  I'm not sure that counts.  For example, I grew up near Farmers Museum in Cooperstown, NY and they have many old historic buildings there.  I guess the Fenimore Art Mansion across the way is a historic home...although it isn't set up as a home.  A few weekends ago we went to Turkey Run State Park and toured the Lieber Log Cabin on the property... it was relocated to that spot but is really old and amazing!  Huge trees were used to build it...bigger than we have now and woods that are virtually extinct.  I think the Biltmore is close to where my parents live now...hmmm...maybe I need to plan a trip.

5. What's something you think will be obsolete in ten years? Does that make you sad or glad?
I think less and less paper will be used...especially in banking and business.  I think that remote controls will no longer be needed with voice command and wearables...especially with so much streaming.  I think that voice command, face recognition, and fingerprint technology is set to make passwords obsolete too.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.
It is cold and rainy here today.  Just above freezing.  Kinda wish it was snow.  It will be a perfect day to finish the laundry and get some reading done.  How is the weather where you are?  How are you enjoying it?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on lemon pepper. We go to this wing place and I prefer them dry but options are limited. I tried the lemon pepper and it was just not good. Almost overwhelmingly lemony and just not for chicken!

D&S said...

Hi - stopping by from the HP! Weather here in southern California is chilly (by our standards - 45 at night) and around 70 during the day... palm trees, gorgeous sunsets. I'll admit I miss the changing leaves though. As a military spouse I know exactly what you mean about moving - I felt like every time I moved I walked around town with a limo driver sign that said "Hi, I'm new - will you be my friend? Where do you go to get your hair cut/dentist/groceries?" It's hard... and it always takes about 6-9 months to feel like you've got a handle on where things are, and begin to figure out who your real friends will be. I don't know how long it has been since you moved, but I"ll be praying for you. hang in there!

songbird's crazy world said...

Hi. I think everyone doing this HodgePodge has mentioned technology, how the written word is being surrplanted by computers, etc. I'm still a bit old school, I haven't gottent he hange of using Siri/alexa/OK google yet.

ellen b said...

I always enjoy reading other's answers to the podge. Makes me nod my head and say "why didn't I think of that?" Your answer to #1 strikes a chord with me. We will be moving to an area where I will need a whole new friend base. Yikes. God will provide. We are having rain, rain, and more rain here in the Seattle area...

Preppy Empty Nester said...

It's cold and sunny. We've had rain most of the week and we're getting more tomorrow. Have a good week.

Barbara H. said...

About a month ago we decided to leave our church - the first time we have ever left a church except for a move. Thankfully we can still keep in touch with friends on Facebook, but starting a new church means new acquaintances, friendships, culture, ways of doing things, etc. It's amazing how many churches with the same base core of beliefs can differ in so many areas. I think we've narrowed it down to two, but I am not perfectly at peace with either one yet. Still praying about it.

Not a fan of lemon pepper, either.

We've been to the Biltmore House many times. Lovely to visit, especially in the fall or spring. I can't imagine living in a house like that - you could lose a child and spend days looking for them. We've visited some other historic homes in Charleston, SC. Nice, but I am glad I live in the era I am in!

I hadn't thought about voice activation replacing remotes. That would be nice, rather than having to grab the right remote and learn the different little quirks of each one.

WW said...

I like certain kinds of lemon pepper. More of pre-made food, I don't like a lot of pepper, but I do like lemon. Sometimes, it's hit or miss for me.
Our weather has been around freezing, but mostly above. I wish we would get to freezing and stay there, it's been hard to pick the right coat to go outside in, when it starts out in the 30's and ends in the 50's. I also wish it would stay colder because my apartment is nice and cozy when it's cold outside, I'm in the basement and today, we hovered in the 40's and I haven't been able to warm up since I got home from work early this afternoon. I love cuddling up on the couch in blankets with books and hot chocolate.

Betty W said...

Hello! Thanks for visiting my HP post and commenting. I enjoyed reading your answers. Our weather is VERY hot at the moment. Yesterday we had temps of 115F...so not fun. You just stay inside and pray the power will not cut off, because we need those AC´s on. haha