Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Thanks Hodgepodge

1. Tradition...how tightly do you cling to tradition when it comes to holiday gatherings and celebrations? For instance do you always do the cooking, never eat at home, always go to grandma's, never miss the parade, always watch football, never change the menu, always eat at 2 PM, etc.? Have you ever celebrated Christmas or Thanksgiving away from hearth, home, and family? How did that feel?
We switch between my side of the family and my husband's side of the family each year.  Each side has it's own, very different, traditions.  Lately, it seems, I am the pie baker!  Transporting pies is a trick!  This year it's seven pies going six hours!  Generally, we celebrate Thankmas the day following Thanksgiving...because we won't see that side for Christmas.  Last year, because we moved in the Fall, our parents (both sides) blessed us with coming to us for the holidays.  That was nice.  This year, it's back to traveling!  I'm kinda looking forward to it...ROAD TRIP!

2. Help...is it easy for you to ask for help or are you a do-it-yourselfer? How is that a good/bad thing?
I am a do it yourself-er...much to my chagrin and dismay.  I think I'm getting better at asking for help but I'm still likely to take on too much, get overwhelmed and not reach out for help.  Part of this is due to the fact that I'm a perfectionist...or control freak, *ahem*.  I like it done my way.  I notice that as I'm now teaching my children daily household chores...I'm finally beginning to loosen my grip on many things.  

3. Abundance...what is there an abundance of in your kitchen?
PIES!

4. Name...the smallest thing you're thankful for? the biggest?
My niece and nephew are the smallest things I'm thankful for...and I am anxious to kiss their cheeks and play with them!  The biggest...oh, I am overwhelmed with God's goodness to us this year...but I think the biggest thing is Darren's successful back surgery...How God saw fit to restore my husband's health and mobility!  

5. Key...What do you think is the key to living a more grateful life?
A focus on true stewardship...in it's focus of God owns everything and I own nothing.  Everything I have, God has entrusted to me.  I can either increase or decrease what I have.  God wants me to increase it.  I can be called into account at anytime, and it could be today.  It is a perspective I need to keep all the year through.

6. State your own random thought here.

I'm super excited to now own a rice cooker.  I'm hoping to use it to stretch food at our church potlucks.  In a university town we go through food...fast.  I'm also going through a "rice phase" because one of my dear friends has corrupted me.  I had no idea there were so many different kinds of rice...and they are all wonderful...and so different!

1 comment:

Barbara H. said...

In our early married days we traveled to celebrate Thanksgiving with friends - our folks were too far away for anything less than a whole week off. For probably the last 20+ years, though, Thanksgiving has been at our home. One memorable one, we had traveled a few hours to be with friends Thanksgiving Eve and attend the Thanksgiving praise service at our old church. We were to leave the next morning to go visit friends further away for the rest of Thanksgiving day, when our car broke down. We got it settled at a shop and rented another, and our youngest got car sick all over the back of the rental car. We ate lunch at a Burger King. :-) We finally got to our friends' house in time for leftovers in the evening. Then we had to deal with bactracking to pick up our car. An ordeal at the time but one that stands out in memory. :-)

I've been thinking lately that traditions are nice in many ways, but only if they enhance rather than burden. Sometimes when a tradition has outlived its usefulness, it's ok to lay it aside.

I like help, but I do tend to do things myself. Partly because of the control freak issue, but partly because when I am in the middle of things, I don't know what to ask others to do. In that case it's easier to do it myself. But when I plan ahead, it's easier to ask different ones for different kinds of help.

So glad your husband's surgery was a success!