Friday, September 18, 2009

Caffeinated Randomness: Meme Pastimes.

I pulled this meme from Stray Thoughts .

Who was your first “best friend”?
The first one I remember is Jennifer. We lived next door to each other from second grade til my junior year when I moved away. We still make sure we see each other briefly when I'm in NY.

What was your most memorable birthday as a child?
I remember my ninth birthday very well. I had my party in the hospital where my Grandma was recovery from major surgery. I got a washable Cabbage Patch kid...and I named her Ruth...after Grandma. I think I was afraid she'd die. She's still around...and knows my two wee ones. See, happy ending to my memorable birthday.

Who was your first “crush”?
I really liked the little neighbor boy. He was a bit of a "player" even at a young age. I laughed really really hard when I was told he went into the priesthood.

Where was the best vacation your family took as a child?
We always went to see relatives...and I loved it!!!

What was your favorite pastime as a child?
Reading. Reading. Reading. (Came across my bookworm pin the other day...won it in some contest...Mom, do you remember?)

When did you learn to ride a two-wheel bike?
I don’t remember learning. I do remember hours of riding around in the church parking lot (my Dad was the pastor...so I lived in the parsonage...for those who are confused). I remember when my boundaries increased...very exciting stuff. It's funny now...that I feel terrified thinking about letting my kids ride out of my sight.

What is your most traumatic memory as a child?
I had a great childhood. I can't really think of anything "traumatic"... My Dad was a huge tease (okay, he still is)...and he used to hide at the bottom of the stairs where the church and parsonage connected...and when he'd hear me coming with his lunch or cookies...he'd hide and jump out and scare the boogers out me. I'd scream! Once he made me cry...and he felt bad...and I guess, that was sort of traumatic! Once, I ran through a nest of yellow jackets playing follow the leader with all the neighbor kids and we ALL got stung! That was traumatic to some...and hilarious in retrospect!

What age did you learn to swim?
I was well into my teens. I always sank like a rock...really! I still have to work to tread water. I dive really well though!

What smell automatically takes you back to your childhood?
Flavored chapstick. I used to eat it... True story...when my Dad was candidating my Junior year of high school I asked him if I could please use his chapstick. He said, "No, you eat it." I adamantly told him that I most certainly did not do that anymore. My Mom backed me up!

What was your first pet?
We got a mutt when I was six. She was black and white spotted. I named her Spots...very creative name don't ya think? She was the best dog ever...her only fault was she shed a lot!

Who impacted your life as a child?
My family has been a huge impact in my life. I spent summers with my Dad's parents...and feel like I've gotten a lot of good spiritual advice from them throughout the years.

What is the most exciting Christmas gift you received as a child?
An alarm clock...yup, I was a control freak...even as a child!

Who was the neighborhood bully when you were growing up?
I remember some mean girls in high school...but no one really before that. I've always been a "walking my own path" kind of kid. I couldn't be bothered.

Who was your best friend as a teenager?
I had some good friends at the church youth rallies. Naomi and I sang duets together. Again, I was a more of a social butterfly. I was friends with everyone...not just one. I do remember enjoying friendships with boys more than girls. Until I got married that was probably true to a point. I find groups of women catty and cliquey...even today.

What is the first car you can remember your family owning?
I remember the Chevy...that was light blue with white plastic seats...that made bumps on your bare skin in the summer. I think that's the furthest back I remember.

What was the first award you ever received?
I won the spelling bee in fourth grade.

What is the name of the first sports team you played on?
I never played on one other than P.E. I was more academically minded. I enjoyed field hockey!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

my favorite pasttime is definitely reading too!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

That was a fun way to get to know you - thanks for sharing!

Barbara H. said...

More academically minded -- that sounds much better than "not very athletic" as I described myself. :-) I'll have to remember that phrase.

Thanks for letting me know you did this! I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like a pretty great childhood.

crittyjoy said...

what a great way to get to know more about you! I agree that groups of women can be catty and cliqueish...I try very hard to be aware of that because I do not want to hurt other women...we need to encourage one another instead of tearing each other down.

I love reading too :)

Have a fabulous weekend!