Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Oozing Sponge

In hard times we're like a sponge...does peace and trust come out... or doubt and fear?  


1 Peter 1:6-7, "In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."

Sometimes I get down...I focus on my own circumstances or the hard times of friends I love...It makes no sense to my mind.  But, it's always good to remind myself of TRUTH (in God's Word)...these trials won't continue forever.  2 Cor. 4:7-12, "But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death is at work in us, but life in you."  There is a purpose; a hope that our faith will be proved genuine.  

James 1:2-4, "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
 
For me it's often the overflow of my mouth that is the telling measure.  Both Matthew and Luke say, "Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks."  Even when I think I've been keeping close accounts with God...it takes nothing but a sleepless night with a sick Boobah to show me my heart still needs work.

Thankfully, God is faithful in His pursuit of me.  Philippians 1:6, "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."  He loves me enough to discipline me...and correct my rotten behaviors.  His precious son, Jesus died...so that my dirty heart could be cleansed.  Praise Him for His perfect plan...that when He looks at me...He doesn't see my awfulness...but His own Son's righteousness.  2 Cor. 5:21, "For our sake He made Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

In all things, every circumstance, I want to be a nice clean sponge.  I want it clearly evident that my eyes are not focused on the circumstances of today...but on Jesus Christ!  May my life bring praise to Jesus Christ alone.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I needed these words today. I have been in a fog that seems to want to take over. Your words have given me hope to persevere through these times and know that I will be refined at the end. I will rejoice in my suffering.