Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday Musings: Sardines & Saltines

I'm sensing a Monday theme...looking through my archives...
TERMINAL illness...Morbid Much?...and Deep Morbid Thoughts... 

"Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it."  Proverbs 4:23

As I've said before...I tend to be a morbid person...it's probably connected to my control freak nature.  In wanting to control things, I like to plan for every eventuality...this means seriously considering the death of myself and loved ones.  Now, this could be an okay thing...bear with me here.  I mean, after all we are supposed to put Christ before any human or thing.  But sadly, I find that when I'm doing this I'm really putting myself first 99% of the time.  I'm worrying about my response, my life, my security, my comfort, my me me me.

This all came to me while I sadly eating the lunch above...and thinking about my Dad's myleofibrosis...and how every time I ate this seemingly disgusting but truly nutrious lunch I'd be reminded of him...sniff sniff.  DUH...um, for one thing he's still here...and he could outlive me (we're all terminal)...and why would I choose to be sad when I could think about so many positive things.  Dad has taught me all sorts of other wacky and wonderful things over the years...and continues to teach me as he lives out his prognosis.  Do I truly believe that God is good all the time and all the time God is good?  Then I need to live like I know it...and stop crying in my lunch.

Satan fights dirty.  He knows our pride...and our stupidity.  He knows just what we don't know about God.  He is a LIAR!  God is for me and will be with me.  FOREVER.

It is my goal to remove the bad thoughts and replace them with His Word...to guard my heart...so, I'm starting today listing out Scriptures to help me focus my eyes on Him and off any circumstance that might get me down...

1 comment:

Pastor D said...

I'm glad I'm a good influence on you... Both in your dietary habits and in your thinking! :-)

Why would anyone think sardines were disgusting? They are delicious! And a little bit of tabasco sauce makes them even better!

I am also enjoying the smoked oysters your mom got for me. I'm living the high life!

You should listen to my sermon from yesterday on Ephesians 1:1-14. God used it to encourage me - maybe it will encourage you too.