Thursday, September 2, 2010

Deep Thoughts: Fancy Nancy?

I've been enjoying the writings of Nancy Leigh DeMoss lately. I thought I'd gather up a bunch of the quotes I'm currently mulling over. Life changing...painful stuff ya'll! Good pain. No pain, no gain...right?

Choosing Gratitude
"I have learned that in every circumstance that comes my way, I can choose to respond in one of two ways: I can whine or I can worship! And I can't worship without giving thanks. It just isn't possible. When we choose the pathway of worship and giving thanks, especially in the midst of difficult circumstances, there is a fragrance, a radiance, that issues forth out of our lives to bless the Lord and others."

"God's Will is what we would choose if we knew what God knows."

A Quiet Place of Rest
"An evidence that our will has been broken is that we begin to thank God for that which once seemed so bitter, knowing that His will is good and that, in His time and in His way, He is able to make the most bitter waters sweet."
"Though my natural instinct is to wish for a life free from pain, trouble, and adversity, I am learning to welcome anything that makes me conscious of my need for Him. If prayer is birthed out of desperation, then anything that makes me desperate for God is a blessing."

Holiness: The Heart God Purifies
"We do need to guard against making absolutes out of personal standards that are not specified in Scripture, or assuming that others are sinning if they don't adopt our standards about issues that may not be traps for them. But why are we so prone to defend choices that take us right to the edge of sin, and so reluctant to make radical choices to protect our hearts and minds from sin?"
"It's bad enough for me to make choices that hurt my own relationship with God. How much more serious is it to be the cause of someone else deciding to sin? Not only must I choose the pathway of holiness for God's sake and for my own sake; I must also do it for the sake of others."

I thought I'd link this with my friend's WIW blog too. Barbara always has such great stuff to share.


2 comments:

Susannah said...

Some wonderful quotes from one of my favs... Nancy Leigh DeMoss. She is the "real deal" and very, very deep.

I'm enjoying Barbara H.'s Week in Words meme too.

Barbara H. said...

I have read one book that had a couple of chapters by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, and I loved them -- so rich a "meaty" Scripturally. I need to read/listen to more of her.

I think my favorite here is "God's Will is what we would choose if we knew what God knows."

And the balance in the last quote is so needful.

Thanks for sharing!