Thursday, January 20, 2011

Prayer: Can you hear me now?

Still Coffee by Geoff Powell

The supreme importance of prayer is tacitly admitted by most evangelical Christians. It is accepted as an article of faith. And yet there are few areas of the Christian life in which there are more regretful confessions of failure and disappointment.
–J. Oswald Sanders


I recently changed my method of prayer journaling...from handwritten to typed.  I was frustrated that I couldn't get my prayers out as fast as I thought them.  It still helps me to see them though...then my mind doesn't wander.  At the same time...I've been super convicted to use more "arrow prayers."  You know...when you think of it...shoot it up!  The Bible does say, "Pray without ceasing."  I stupidly find myself thinking..."I need to remember to pray for that...and this..."  Um, hello?  Just pray NOW!

A good friend of mine recently shared her opinion that it was prideful to even discuss prayer.  She was concerned that I was making the private...public.  She said she just tries to pray but has no idea whether she does or not.  I was left reeling.  Really...if we were talking about cell phones it would be like her saying...she talks to God, but has no idea if He hears her, if she has a signal but it would be prideful to find answers to her account issues...so...she just keeps on talking.  Can you hear me now?  Static?  Silence.

I lovingly told her that I think we differ in opinion due to a major point of prayer.  Access.  I pray to the Father.  My access comes from Jesus...through my accepting his shed blood as atonement for my sin...He names me as His own and mediates upon my behalf at the right hand of the Father.  I pray in the power of the Holy Spirit...who directs and points me to Jesus...the Author and Finisher of my faith.

My friend, although one of the most sincere gals I know...finds her access through the church, through mass, through liturgy.  Her statement regarding not knowing whether she truly prays or not...is due to the fact that she is unsure of her access to the throne.

"For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,"  I Tim. 2:5

You can talk 'til you turn purple but if you have no access...it's just talking. 

3 comments:

Barbara H. said...

Prideful to talk about prayer? I had never heard that before -- nor not even knowing if one is praying or not. How sad, with as much as the Bible teaches about prayer.

I think you make a good point that much of it has to do with access. It's no more prideful to speak of having access to God than it would be for a king's children to talk about having access to him.

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

Oh, wow. Amen, sister. Amen.

This is one of the best posts I've read this week...

Loved the verse you included too - SO perfect. I have some issues here sometimes - I never understand why someone would need to "go" to confession when we can confess straight up any time we want - our mediator IS Jesus.

Beautiful and real words - love 'em, sister.

bekahcubed said...

Oh, what a sad, sad story. I'm sending an arrow prayer up right now that your friend would come to know the access that she has to the Father through Jesus Christ.