Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thursday: Nice, but nope! #2

Oh, that's an interesting phrase...huh...but yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not in the Bible. Nope actually, not. Oh, really...you're sure it is? Could you show it to me? You think it's "somewhere in the middle"? Hmmmm...

As I begin to go through my list of biblical misquotes I want to gently remind ya'll...THINK.  Search it out...look.  Seek...find!  Be kind.

God helps those who help themselves.
Here's what I found out about the origins of this saying...

A clear quote from Aesop "Hercules and the Waggoner"...Aesop lived from about 620–564 BC. A more contemporary provenance and one which matches the common wording identically comes to us by way of Benjamin Franklin (Poor Richard's Almanac, 1736). Franklin himself was a deist and so he believed that God did not play an active role in men's lives. In his point of view if man was not able to help himself, then man was hopeless.
I've been personally confronted by this one before.  And heard of someone saying that they thought it was somewhere in "the middle" of their Bible.  Sigh...The Bible teaches something entirely different than the old saying, because God makes special provision to help the helpless. 

Romans 5:6,8
For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly....But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Proverbs 28:26
He who trusts in his own heart is a fool,
But he who walks wisely will be delivered.

Jeremiah 17:5
Thus says the LORD,
"Cursed is the man who trusts in mankind
And makes flesh his strength,
And whose heart turns away from the LORD."

That being said, God does speak out against laziness though.  I wouldn't be wanting any of ya'll thinking I enjoy the "hand out" thang we've got going in this here United States right now. Here's a few verses I found on that...(and there's LOTS more)...

2 Cor. 3:10
If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.




Provers 21:25
The craving of a sluggard (lazy person) will be the death of him, because his hands refuse to work.

Personal Life ApplicationWithout Jesus, I am powerless, weak and helpless.  How wonderful to be reminded of a God who has provided for a world full of hopeless sinners by sending Jesus...Hope for the nations...Salvation!  This great love I have for him...and gratefulness for being hauled out of the pit...should get me moving.  I would be a fool indeed not to be working out my salvation with fear and trembling.  Faith without works is dead!  I'm praying I trust him more...grow in faith...and walk worthy of his call on my life.

In the next few weeks I'm going to look into some others for Thursday's Nice, but nope!  It's a fun blogging activity...and hopefully enriching as well.  Here are some I have gathered thus far...

Cleanliness is next to godliness.
God helps those who help themselves.
Moderation in all things.
To thine own self be true.
Pride comes before a fall.
This too shall pass.
God works in mysterious ways.
Money is the root of all evil. 

No comments: