Wednesday, April 17, 2019

O- Owl be loving you!

Some caffeinated randomness today around the owl theme!

I love owls.  I tend to think of them as dignified and wise animals.  This picture always cracks me up though.  It combines my love of coffee and owls.  Win win!

I've bought owls for my grandpa for years and years.  I'm not sure he wanted to collect owls but he does now.  There is an arts and crafts owl I made when I was little in his study.  It's a square of burlap with a half shell walnut glued to it.  I can't remember how the head was made...but it forms an owl.  I think it's sitting on a twig.  It's cute, and I love that he's saved it all these years.

When I was in high school I got to dissect an owl pellet.  It was fun and so interesting.  I deliberately chose a guy to be my lab partner.  I said something sweet like, "Look, I'm not interested in dating you or anything but I just want a good lab partner."  We ended up at the same college years later and I roomed with his future wife.  He enjoyed teasing me about the unflattering request I'd made for a good grade.  I just couldn't abide another dramatic female partner.  Too much squealing and no learning.  Ha!

I feel like I saw more owls in NY growing up than I do living in IN.  I remember learning that a group of crows in called a murder after I watched an owl murder.  My grandma told me that they gang up and fly after the owl and peck it to death.  She assumed it was because the owls ate their young or disturbed their nests.

Sometimes, I make owls out of scraps of clothing (pockets) for baby plushies with the quilts I make.  Owl be loving you...always!


#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary badge

No comments: