Saturday, April 20, 2019

R- Redeeming the Time

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 
redeeming the time, because the days are evil."
 Ephesians 5:15-16

This passage speaks mainly about the need to make use of every opportunity to share the gospel.  How we live and what we value does say something about us.  How we participate with Technology in particular can create opportunities or deter opportunities for meaningful relationships.
Our family has been trying to be very deliberate about the use of our time.  We are genuinely very busily involved with our church and community.  By now everyone with opposable thumbs realizes the time suck that is Technology.  

I have read a few great books on this lately.  12 Ways Your Phone is Changing You by Tony Reinke and  The Tech-wise Family by Andy Crouch.  I also enjoyed a Podcast Q& A with Tony Reinke.  All of these were great resources I would highly recommend and just plain good to think through.  
For our family, there is no screen time during the week, outside of school or work.  

We are charging devices downstairs in the kitchen charger station now.  This was a hard change but super helpful.  I actually got this idea from Crazy Busy by Kevin DeYoung.  He mentions how when we do not separate from technology it's like being in a room with millions of people who can poke you at any time.  I felt the truth of this heavily and really enjoy the freedom of being away.  

I will say that occasionally my husband and I  break this rule to read something on our kindle's...but it is still good accountability for us to have the rule.  It is so easy to seek comfort and numb out with stupid things in the evening instead of communicating and loving those around you.  It has definitely strengthened our marriage to talk to each other and not just stare into a screen.

We time the amount of time spent on devices even on weekends.  It's kind of taken the place that Saturday morning cartoons used to have in my childhood.  Our son loves his hour of time playing with DadE!  

I still love technology for long car rides...but I'm going to try to get back into reading aloud during car trips again.  We were talking the other day and the kids requested I bring back some of the car games I used to "make them" play too.  The specifically requested "Would you Rather?" and "I'm thinking of an animal."  I love that they are excited about it!  

We don't watch much TV.  I like it for noise if I'm alone during the day...but even that I've traded in for Podcasts lately.  We rarely Youtube because you can't control the ads...and some are scary/raunchy!  We occasionally watch an old show like Gilligan's Island or Green Acres on a busy evening...especially if Daddy's traveling and we need a distraction.

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary badge

No comments: