Monday, June 6, 2011

My Garden: Cats and Curses...

Cat, n. A soft, indestructible automaton provided by nature to be kicked when things go wrong in the domestic circle.
Ambrose Bierce
 
If only cats grew into kittens.
R. Stern

My little garden is growing merrily along...except for the rotten neighborhood cats...
...they think I put a lovely litter box in my backyard...just for them.  Now, I'd never stoop to poisoning a cat...but I am at the CURSES stage...and my curses pack a punch...
So, CURSES TO ALL NEIGHBORHOOD CATS...If you keep digging holes and pooping in my garden...May you get fleas and all your hair fall out, so you'll be bald and yowling in despair....
...and may you lick your paws...cuz I've liberally sprinkled the soil with cayenne pepper.  I hope it makes you cry!!!  May God save your mangee necks if you kill my tomato plants!!!
SINCERELY, YOUR UNFRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD GARDENER (I wasn't sure if one should sign curses or not...but figured just in case.)

4 comments:

ozjane@gmail.com said...

Firstly my darlings are all indoor cats.....have you seen my new baby? And of course that meant grief.
However cats were marking my front door...I did not appreciate this.
I was told they dislike orange peel.
I kept putting it out fresh every so often. Cats nil, win Moggie and I.

Joyce said...

Something had a snack in my flower bed over the weekend. I'm going to have to investigate today and sprinkle something out there. We are surrounded by five acres of woods...why oh why do they feel they need to eat the few shrubs I have???

Barbara H. said...

Love those quotes, especially the second one. I don't know why they're so much cuter as kittens.

I feel your frustration, but I have to admit this post made me smile.

I've wondered if cayenne pepper worked -- someone suggested that at our old house when neighborhood dogs for some reason chose the area around our mailbox as their outhouse, but I never tried it.

bekahcubed said...

AMEN! There were feral cats in the last neighborhood I lived in and some crazy neighbor kept FEEDING them. They were always slinking out of the sewer inlets and sneaking around my house. Then one of them got into my garage and left paw prints all over my car! I often had murderous thoughts.

Now, though, I live on a lake and I have ducks. (Which are pretty, but leave very interesting poop on my dock.)