Thursday, January 4, 2018

Hodgepodge New Year--belated

1. It's that time of year again...time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, or genera uselessness) in 2018. You can read more about the decision making process and word meaning here, but this year's top vote getters are-
unpack, dish (as in dish out the latest rumor), pre-owned, onboarding/offboarding, nothingburger, let that sink in, let me ask you this, impactful, Cofefe, drill down, fake news, hot water heater (hot water doesn't need to be heated), and gig economy
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
My first thought was "these people have a lot of time on their hands" and then ..."what is a "nothingburger" and "Cofefe"...great, I need to look those up.  I don't see the problem with a lot of these...and I kinda like "let me as ask you this" it seems all proper-like to me.  I'd be okay never hearing "fake news" again.  And also "Polar Vortex"...that and not experiencing that term.  It was negative 19 F here to start the New Year.  Ugh.
2. What's something you need to get rid of in the new year?
I need to get rid of a few pounds.
3. Where do you feel stuck?
I always find it easy to feel stuck in the mundane every day tasks of our home.  I have to be on guard so that it doesn't tumble over into discontent.  I have to remind myself that God is teaching me things I need to know in all these little mundane tasks...He is using these as teachable moments with me...He is doing something good.  I need to be faithful...not perfect or amazing.  Today I will live by a standard of grace, not perfection.
4. January is National Soup Month. When did you last have a bowl of soup? Was it made from scratch or from a can? Your favorite canned soup? Your favorite soup to make from scratch on a cold winter's day?
I've made soup twice this last week.  Ham and Beans (my son's favorite) and East African Beef Soup (a new recipe)...both were super yummy and make great leftovers.  My favorite canned soup is Progresso New England Clam Chowder.  My favorite soup to make on a cold winter day is probably the one I'm making today...easy peasy V8 Vegetable Soup with Tilapia.  It's sort of a cheater Manhattan Chowder recipe.  One large bottle of V8, 1 bag each of corn, green beans, carrots, potatoes....crockpot until boiling hot...slip in thawed fish until cooked and breaking up!  Yum!
5. Tell us one thing you're looking forward to in 2018.
I'm looking forward to going to Tennessee for our summer vacation.  I've never seen the Smoky Mountains and we decided to book a cabin.  It's been so fun to start planning already!  My husband has been there several times and is excited to share it with our little family.  I'm slightly worried about bears but I'm trying not to think about it too much.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I'm enjoying the end of break.  The kids are still home until next week.  We don't have to travel.  We can get things re-set and still enjoy each other.  We have new games to play in the evenings.  Because it's SO cold here, we can stay in and completely heal up from our various holiday illnesses.  Praying to start next week strong!!

2 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I hear you about the pounds - way too many sweets and not enough exercise here over the holidays.

I had not heard of nothingburger and only recently learned about cofefe. I don't know how they'd get rid of pre-owned, as that does convey a necessary piece of information. I don't like the word "unpack" in talks or lessons or sermons: "Now let's unpack this verse" or thought or point or whatever. I don't know why.

The last soup we had was a ham and potato one made with the bone of the ham we had for Christmas. So good.

Are you going to Eastern or Western TN? I would guess Eastern since that's where the mountains are. We're on the Eastern side, near Knoxville. Somehow we have never booked a cabin in the mountains, but we should do that some time. I don't hear about much of a problem with bears, but then I've always been more on the highway passing through rather than in a cabin out in the mountains. But, still, it shouldn't be too much of a problem or they wouldn't let people stay there. Just don't leave any food outside. :-)

Joyce said...

My hubs grew up in the foothills of the Smokies and we spend a lot of time in those mountains. Soo beautiful! You'll love it. What town are you renting in? I think one thing I enjoy about frigid temps is the forced slow down after the craziness of the holidays. Too cold to do much more than read, nap and Netflix. Happy new year!