Monday, August 1, 2011

Call me Ishmael...er, CORNY!

Or maybe call me "Industrious Housewife of the Year"...or "slightly loony!"

OR..."very tired and sore."

Yes, it's true...after my fabulously corny experience last year...and the delicious corn we gobbled up by early January...I decided to make not double...

...not triple...

...but FOUR times the amount I froze last year.
  I'm nuts!  It's official! 
After talking Loverbrains into shucking all 20-odd dozen ears...and stacking them on my kitchen table...And after drinking my second cup of coffee and talking my darling daughter into helping her MomE...
...We started the assembly line!  She did help...pulled the corn for the ice bath to drain/dry...
...scooped corn into freezer baggies...for almost a full half hour!  Tee hee!  Oh well...

There are questions as to how much she "helps" me anyway at this point.  She WILL be a big help someday...I'm sure.

So, they both roared around and I listened to praise songs...LOUDLY!
What a blessing...a huge blessing...tears down my cheeks so I had to stop chopping kind of blessing...
"Oh, I am not redeemed by corruptible things--Not by silver, not by gold--And not by aimless tradition--But by the blood of God's sacred Son, Jesus---Oh You alone my living hope--And my inheritance is Incorruptible---
Incomparable---Inconceivable----Your plans for me---Shall always be---And for the day that You're revealed---My heart is forever sealed---With the promise of mercy---And the hope of all your glory!!"  ~Watermark, 1 Peter 1:18-20; 23-25
Sunday, it was proposed that FORGIVENESS is one of the most important words to understand.  We were asked to guess which word was so important.  Grace, Love, Praise, Glory...were all suggestions made...and it was a bit like a sucker punch to hear FORGIVENESS...wow, how come we didn't think of that one?  Our Pastor's on a well deserved vacation...so his Dad (sort of our pastor emeritus) spoke to us.

He reminded us that FORGIVENESS is a universal need...Rom 3:23, Jn. 3:36, Jn. 3:18...all things that I knew but probably take for granted...but what really spoke to me was his question... 

How do people know your sins are forgiven?  2 Cor. 5:17...You should act like a new creature.  His point on this surprised me too...He told a story from his youth...and said, "You can TRY to fake this...but change must be inside and out.  A real change!  AMEN!!  He encouraged us not to be careless in how we live each day.
As I put away my 24 1/2 qts of corn....I heard...

"The more I know Your power, Lord/  The more I'm mindful/  How casually we speak and sing Your name/  How often we have come to You/  With no fear or wonder/  And called upon You only for what we stand to gain/  God forbid, that I find You so familiar/  That I think of You as less than who You are/  God forbid, that I should speak of You at all/  Without a humble reverence in my heart/  God forbid..."  Point of Grace, 1996


So, of all the things you MIGHT call me today...Call me BLESSED...Call me CONVICTED!!!







9 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

Oh, you would have to tempt me with fresh corn. We had the opportunity to pick some yesterday at my in-laws but we passed it up. Bad move. Enjoy!

Laura said...

OH, wow, that corn looks lovely! And such a good helper too. A few praise songs always make the work go quicker. I've been working on that forgiveness thing a bit myself of late. Thanks for this gentle reminder to keep at it!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Wow! Your corn looks beautiful! What a timely word you've shared, too. (I remember that Point of Grace song!)

Theresa Miller said...

Wow! That is a lot of corn! Yum, I love it! Great words for reflection today. Thank you!

Barbara H. said...

Wow! That was quite an undertaking! I love fresh corn -- I wonder if anyone grows any around here they'd be willing to share with a neighbor....

I wasn't familiar with either of those songs but there is a great depth to the words. What a blessing to be able to think on those things while our hands are busy.

Deidra said...

What a beautiful post - thanks for sharing your heart! It did much good for me to read this.

Unknown said...

That is a lot of corn. Does it last you all year? We hardly ever eat it, which is why I'm wondering. However, I just ran across a great recipe for this corn salsa mixture...

So, not the point of your post, I know. Perhaps I am avoiding my own feelings of conviction????

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

corn . . . kids in the kitchen . . . praise music and forgiveness. All things we need.

Fondly,

Glenda

Michelle DeRusha said...

Wow -- I don't think I've ever seen shucked corn in a laundry basket before! :)

I appreciate your ruminations on forgiveness here. And your enthusiasm, too.