Friday, February 4, 2011

Caffeinated Randomness: Do you use BIG words?

Photo from Pinterest

Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.  ~C.S. Lewis

I'm a word lover!  I am also a C.S. Lewis lover...but after reading this quote above...I no longer have a desire to meet him (in heaven).  Eek!  Just to think what he'd say about my writing makes me nervous!  HAHA!  I am guilty of coming out with larger than necessary words.  Some words I get from my chemical vocabulary husband.  

For example, before our marriage I NEVER wiped a child's nose and said, "UGH, your boogies are incredibly thick and viscous today!"   Incidentally, I also use viscous when describing batter for various cobbler recipes, etc.  HAHAHA...okay, ew...I'm sorry!

I use big words with the puppy too..."Scruffy, you have impeccable timing.  Why do you have to go out now!"  I'm sure she knows just what I mean...as I sigh with exasperation and click on her leash!

I bought a new bathroom spray...something called Moroccan Bazaar.  And every.time. I spray it...I think cloying.  That smell is cloying...not truly pleasant in it's sweet and spiciness.  I also think that about certain perfumes I encounter...or that envelope me around certain women and men!  Ick...cloying.

SO...I'm interested...

What big words do you use in every day conversation...that are zinger vocabulary words?  I love new words...please share!! 

By the by...I disagree with C.S... I have no trouble finding words when I want them...to describe God or any other BIG things in my life.  However, I do understand the need to be careful with certain words...like awesome, for example.  Words that are only appropriate to describe God should probably NOT be used to describe soft socks or chocolate.  I get that.

JOIN MICHELLE AND THE REST OF THE LOVLIES FOR CAFFEINATED RANDOMNESS>>>

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I say "plethora" a lot. Yeah, that's about all I got.

Michelle said...

Aplumb. I just like the way it sounds. And to think that it means very knowledgeable.

It's Grace said...

I think Mr. Lewis would have a thing or two to say to me as well. For example, I think I overuse the word "love". Maybe some would disagree, but if I get excited about something then I "love it".

Hope you're having an impeccable weekend!! :)
Erin

ozjane said...

Pragmatic springs to mind.....and I am not.
I love writing 'iniquitous' letters when I am upset/irate/frustrated/ with something that has been done wrongly. I am quite famous for my iniquitous letters...
discombobulated is another wonderful word.
Thank you for the blog award. I appreciated it but got distracted and now am flooded.....pictures in blog if you have time. Last two entries and photos.
hugs and I love C S Lewis. and J B Phillips also. Would be nice to chat to Eugene Peterson also.