Monday, February 7, 2011

WIW: Mitten Song

Photo Source
THE MITTEN SONG
By Mary Louise Allen

"Thumbs in the thumb-place,
Fingers all together!"
This is the song
We sing in mitten weather,
When it is cold,
It doesn't matter whether
Mittens are wool,
Or made of finest leather.
This is the song
We sing in mitten-weather:
"Thumbs in the thumb-place,
Fingers all together!"

I say this when I help the kids put on their mittens...but had forgotten that it was part of a larger mitten song until I was reading through the children's treasury I grew up with...that my Mom recently let me borrow!  Emma said to her brother today..."Remember Caleb, thumb in the thumb SPACE...fingers all together!"

3 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

Precious. I asked for a pair of mitten for my birthday last November! Everyone thought I was crazy but I’ve always heard that mittens keep you warmer than gloves, so I’m giving it a try. :-) Glad you had the memory of a book you grew up with. Love that.

Barbara H. said...

Cute photo and song! Sounds like a great way to teach kids about mittens.

I just ordered Ann's book after looking over the first chapter on Amazon. I'm kind of hesitant, too, about a book that everyone is on the bandwagon about -- odd, since I usually like book recommendations. And I do get a little lost in her writing in her blog sometimes. But the first chapter grabbed me. :-)

Unknown said...

So sweet! Isn't it the little things?