Tuesday, February 1, 2011

SDG: TOTALLY TUESDAY GROCERY EVANGELISM!

Photo Source




It is TOTALLY icy around here.  Yes, the picture above is courtesy of the Internet cuz after thinking about it briefly...I was TOTALLY NOT going outside to take pictures.  Especially when I heard the cracking and popping coming from our giant trees.  Nope!

I was TOTALLY relieved when Loverbrains came home a bit early yesterday so I could do our weekly grocery shopping early.  The lines were ginormous...and as is my general custom I cheerfully bantered with those around me.  I TOTALLY teased a guy who kept asking me if I remembered the big blizzard of '78.  I said, "Well, I probably shouldn't tell you when I was born...*totally twinkly smile*"  I don't remember the blizzard of '78...I was just a glimmer in my Father's eye. 

I was also thinking about my Dad's challenge to me earlier that day.  He was saying that people aren't really serious about evangelism.  We want to speak kindly to people but then wish them a good day and be on our way.  Those of us with knowledge of the gospel...not sharing it...well, is equivalent to saying, "Have a nice day...Go to Hell!"  I TOTALLY argued with him...saying that there isn't really opportunity to share the whole "kit and kaboodle" with everyone you meet...especially cashiers, etc.  His point was...You'd better be trying to share something!  So....

Did I mention the lines were TOTALLY CRAZY?  Worse than Christmas...really.  My poor check-out girl, Dedre...was rosy cheeked and puffing...working at warp speed.  I started out by teasing her a bit...because right as I came up the manager asked her to stay two extra hours.  She agreed, although looking dead on her feet.  I teased that she'd be happy when she got the extra money in her paycheck...and it'd all be an icy distant memory.  She chuckled.

I had a lot of TOTALLY odd ingredients...I told her how I was planning a few Hawaiian meals for our church's Valentine's Luau...you see I was angling for any way to slip Christ in...

Funny...my opportunity came as someone was saying they were just praying they'd get home.  She said, "Who's gonna pray for me to get home?  I have to go home after everyone else does!"

I said, "Oh Dedre...I WILL TOTALLY pray for you!  I've just been memorizing parts of Colossians...in the Bible...Did you know it says, "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."?"  She smiled and said, "Thanks, I appreciate that...you sound like a really serious christian!"  I thanked her for her sweet comment but explained that it was the next part of Colossians that was TOTALLY my prayer...to be bold to share what Jesus did on the cross...dying for my sins...and the sins of the whole world.

She nodded, "Sounds like John 3:16...Yeah, I know about Jesus...I went to church when I was little.  Maybe I should get my Bible out and read it, eh?"  I agreed, "The Bible is God's Word...John is one of my favorite books...well, and now Colossians!"

About that time it was TOTALLY time to brave the elements.  I zipped my coat and said, "Dedre, right after I load these things into my car...I'm going to pray for my drive home...and I'm going to pray for your drive home...and that you'll dust off that Bible, okay?"  She smiled..."Have a great night!"  "YOU TOO...you have a good night too!"

I'm TOTALLY praying for God to work mightily in Dedre's life!  Next time I'm grocery shopping...guess who's line I'm going to try to get into?  Guess what I'm going to ask her?  God is working...

Are you sharing your knowledge of the gospel with EVERYONE you meet...even just a little bit at a time??

10 comments:

Barbara H. said...

That's inspiring. We think it is nearly impossible in busy stores because we don't want to hold up the other customers and take the person away from their job, but you demonstrated that a good bit of seed can be sown without doing either of those things.

Bobbi said...

TOTALLY makes my heart beat like a drum though...I should have included that bit of info., eh?

Rachy said...

What an inspiring story. What a difference you must have made in that girl's night. I hope I can reach out like that when opportunities arise.

Unknown said...

That is amazing! It reminds me -- I was in Michael's the other day buying dried wheat for our Sunday school lesson on Ruth and Naomi. The lady helping me asked me what I was making and I told her that it was for church...Ruth...blah, blah. She got TEARS in her eyes telling me this whole story about her ex-boyfriend's mother and how much she meant to her. You just never know what can come out of a few simple words...

Michelle said...

That's awesome. I think your Dad is right. Something that I need think of. Who do I not share God's grace and message with.

Art said...

"Have a nice day...Go to hell!" True enough. Thank your dad for me next time you see him.

BTW, my wife has that same sort of conversation with checkout people often. She, like you, knows their names, their kids, their problems. We've even shared dinner with a few. You're both awesome examples.

Keep it up. The whole "kit and kaboodle."

Mary said...

You never know when the opportunity will come along to evangelize, do you? That is such an awesome story!

Joywriter said...

Thanks for sharing such an encouraging post! You sure make it look easy.
I especially noticed that the Scripture you quote is part of my 2011 Passage of the Year, Col. 4:2-6.

Amy Sullivan said...

Finally making my way around all the cool blogs over at Jen's. Saw that you were an Indiana girl. . .me too, well a former Indiana girl.

Nice meeting you!

ozjane said...

Go girl go....your Dad is so right..we are more scared of sharing than people are of being shared to.
Praying that Dedre finds her way Home to the Father..and praying in the precious name of our Lord Jesus Christ.